Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeping Thyme Between Paving Stones?

I have some horrid crazy paving that needs dealing with

I love the idea of creeping thyme between the stones.

My question is: Should I just sow the seed in situ? Or try and establish some little plants and then transplant them (some of the gaps between the pavers are quite big)? Or a mixture of both approaches?

Thanks in advance

Dont know if you should sow direct or transplant but it sounds like a great idea which I am now thinking of doing myself.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the answers/techniques as it has never worked for me, the Thyme always dies.................

Comment

I'm trying propagate some thyme from cuttings at the moment to do something similar I thought I'd be able to squeeze the young plants into the gaps.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I think I'll probably go with the mixed approach, but leaning more towards establishing some plants, then squeezing them between the cracks

I'll keep you updated!

Comment

Plants grown in their final place usually do better. I'd be tempted to try the seed approach. Only problem is identifying and removing weeds.

What about some mixed herbs and see what takes and like it there? You can get herb collections on ebay for a couple of quid.

Comment

I used to have a path with creeping thyme all round it and in the cracks. It started with one plant I had bought. It quickly spread and put itself in all the spaces. I had to give it a good hairut regularly to keep the path clear. If it's happy where it is it goes wild.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Well, I've sown some seed in pots today, not going to cover them, coz (apparently) that's asking for damping off.

It's been tipping it down, so is too inclement to sow outside at present. I'll try that tomorrow!

I'll let you know
                Last edited by MissKittin; 22-05-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Haven't managed to sow outside yet (due to biblical downpours): Am aiming for this weekend!

But the indoor seeds are just starting to come through (6 days). They were sown, uncovered in a warm conservatory, and are just misted occasionally (every other day or so)

Comment

Just a quick update (if any one is interested!)

The outside sown seeds have been a complete and utter failure (sown the weekend after I last posted, with a second sowing 2 weeks later). They have simply failed to show.

The inside sown seeds have romped away, with no sign of the dreaded damping off, and I have about 30 small but perfectly formed creeping thyme plants, with what appears to be a decent/sustainable root system attached to each one

I'm planning on levering 10 in between the cracks this weekend, and am potting the rest up individually, for insurance

Wish me luck
                    Last edited by MissKittin; 23-06-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Good luck Miss Kitten. If you can get the thyme started you'll be out there with shears to keep it off the path.
                      Last edited by Alice; 23-06-2009, 10:47 PM.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X