Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-potting a bay tree

Hello

I bought my OH a bay tree a couple of Christmases ago and it's now needing to be potted on into a bigget pot. I'm a bit apprehensive as I don't want to kill it in the move but it'll only suffer in a small pot.

What's the best compost mix to use? and should I add anything to it e.g. sand or low release fertiliser etc.

Many thanks

Lisa

i work in a garden centre and we pot ours up in a general multi purpose. Nothing special.
    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
    And only count lifes sunny hours,
    For her dull days do not exist,
    Evermore the optimist

Comment

John Innes No 3 is a soil based compost that is ideal for tree's and shrubs in pots. Because it's soil based it adds a bit of weight so there's less chance of the pot and tree blowing over. It doesn't dry out as quickly as other coir/composted bark based composts either and has a slow release feed in it. You just need to scrape a bit way from around the plant each year and add a couple of inches of new compost.

Having said that, my Bay tree is in multi purpose stuff as I didn't have any JI made up at the time of potting on!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X