Wild Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Garlic

Last year someone gave me some wild garlic roots for my herb bed, which I duly planted and they seemed to take fine with some smallish shoots showing through. Having looked at the ground where they were there doesn't seem to be any sign of the plant. Does wild garlic die away in Winter and re-emerge in Spring or is it a sign that they've rotted away and need to be replaced maybe?
    'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

I think it re-grows each year from the little bulbs. I too got some last year from my neighbour who had absolutely loads growing in between the flowers in her back garden and she was trying to get rid of it all (she doesn't "do" growing to eat!). I can't see any in my patch yet but I think it'll start showing through round about March/April
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Well, I'll look in March/April Maureen and let you know! Hope springs eternal!

Comment

Definitely dies back, cause i bought some from Jekkas herbs - and phoned to check it was ok when it died back, they said it,s supposed to!

Comment

Wild garlic dies back into the ground and the leaves re-emerge in spring.
          Don't forget you can eat the leaves as well as the bulbs. They give a lovely, mild garlic flavour when chopped into soups and stews.
          It's a big spreader in damp, shady conditions - so watch where it's going.
          It grows by the acre along the banks of the River Ericht (near me) and looks just gorgeous when it flowers.

Last year I had an all pervading smell of garlic in the house and couldn't work out where it was coming from until my little great niece (5) piped up and said I think it might be me.
          We had been walking along the banks of the Ericht and she had stuffed her jacket pockets with wild garlic flowers.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Wild Garlic leaves now about 6" high, oh me of little faith!

Comment

Wild garlic is trying to take over my garden, it grows everywhere including the lawn. We did it up and use it in cooking, it is mild in flavour - I actually made some tomato/pasta sauce with some a couple of weeks ago... ours never seems to go away - at the moment the patch I've allowed to grow is about 8 inches high. The flowers are quite pretty, white.

Comment

Wild garlic will most definitely grow back, I've been trying to clear my garden of it for years now. But, every year, back it comes!

Mikey

Comment

Originally posted by spursboy61 View Post
                  Wild garlic will most definitely grow back, I've been trying to clear my garden of it for years now. But, every year, back it comes!

Mikey
                  Me too, got tons of the dam stuff, every year I think I have got most of the bulbs out, but back it comes again, even through the lawn. (When I had one)
                  It may be pretty in flower, but when those flowers go to seed it spreads like wildfire. Its obviously best to get them out before they seed, but I always miss a few of them. I much prefer the cultivated variety and at least that stays where you put it.

Gardening should always be a pleasure and never a chore,only someone forgot to tell the weeds

"If you don't have a plan, a goal for yourself, then you are almost certainly a part of someone else's"

"The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dream is you"

Comment

There's a road not far from where my daughter lives where wild garlic grows all along the edge - last year, driving by we could smell it in the car.

Would this be OK to pick (assuming it'll be back this summer) and plant in my own garden? I've never seen it selling as plants and would love to try it. Also, I'll check out Jekkas herbs as mentioned by Coomber.
                    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I believe it may be technically illegal to pick or dig up wild flowers, but the stuff is so copious I dont suppose anyone with any sense would mind if you dug up a little bit, especially as you want to plant it!
                      A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
                      There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                        There's a road not far from where my daughter lives where wild garlic grows all along the edge - last year, driving by we could smell it in the car.

Would this be OK to pick (assuming it'll be back this summer) and plant in my own garden? I've never seen it selling as plants and would love to try it. Also, I'll check out Jekkas herbs as mentioned by Coomber.
                        If you decide to do this, PLANT IT IN A POT!!! It spreads everywhere and you can't get rid of it,

Regards, Mikey

Comment

And I've just got some seeds!
                          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Wild garlic or Ramsons are (I think) technically protected under the Wildlife and Countryside act of 19-something something, and are an AWI or acient woodland indicator species (slightly ironic when they pop up in your lawn). That said, they are pretty much everywhere, they spread like wildfire and I doubt anyones going to throw the book at you for adding a few to your garden. Don't they just smell great?!
                            The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

I've recently moved house - a 150 year old victorian coach house and the vegie patch I want to re-establish is full of wild garlic. Every spade brings up 20 - 30 bulbs. The plot is 200ft x 60ft. Has anybody got any ideas how to clear the garlic ? All I can think of is rent-a-pig.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X