Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early to be thinking herbs/wild garlic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too early to be thinking herbs/wild garlic?

Hi folks,

I'm keen to start cracking on with growing some herbs as I seem to kill potted herb plants

So, I've previously managed to grow thyme from seeds (would you believe I forgot all about them and went back to the pot a while later and had some lovely fresh herbs ).

Can I start the germination process now? I'm keen to have the following to use this year fresh from the garden:

garlic chives
    normal chives
    corriander
    flat leave parsley
    mint (of many varieties-is mint easy to germinate?!)
    oregano
    basil-including purple ruffles etc

And, what the heck is wild garlic and can I get the seeds from anywhere (I know, its called wild, but hey worth a try).

Diva
    Last edited by Diva1983; 20-01-2009, 11:45 AM.

Wild garlic, also known as Ramson, is great stuff. I know it from when I lived in Germany, where it's called "Bears' Garlic", because apparently bears just awake after hibernating for the winter would eat the stuff up by the bucketload. Whether true or not, I really like it. It has a fresh, garlicky taste. Garlic in a leafy green format.

I just saw it yesterday for sale on the Thomas Etty Esq website. Last page of the alliums, 25 bulbs for 9 pounds, 50 bulbs for 15. I've never cultivated it, so I don't have any advice there, I used to pick it wild.
    Last edited by Growem; 20-01-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Hi
      Wild garlic is a lovely plant you can grow from seeds or bulbs I bought mine off ebay last spring I planted the bulbs straight away got really nice plants the seeds were sown and took that long to germinate I thought they were never going to come through I nearly threw them away but they came and I planted them in the garden October time cant wait to see what they all look like this spring as I've also planted around 200 daff and tulip bulbs

Comment

of woodland and old railway lines, it as a small white flower and grows in swathes, you can smell the garlic if you just rub the flower, it is grate in all dishes.Mint is very easy to grow but be warned it will takeover your garden if not kept in check, the best way by far is to find an old bucket and set it into the soil up to the rim, having first put very little Hi wild garlic is a spring flowering plant and can be found in shaded areas some holes in the bottom. As for the rest of the herbs, I buy them from tesco and split the pot into about five plants then plant them in a sunny border in spring when all frost as gone, keep well watered and you will have fresh herbs all year, for cost. Hope this as been of help.

Comment

wild garlic - ramsons - Allium Ursinum

I grow it every year no probs, perfect time for planting is septmber i find. i grow the bulbs too but i prefer to raise evrything from seeds. i just love the smell! it's pretty hardy really, i grow directly in the ground outside. i prefer to grow mainly potatoes! and beans but i do have a small herb garden now which i started 2 years ago and i have got well into it! at the moment i am growing some fairly common herbs: rosemary, sage, thyme, lovage, lavender, hops, garlic and oregano. but i hope to expand in the next year and grow a lot more. if i can find the space i noticed that in another thread someone was looking for good king henry? well i checked my herb seed supplier and they stock them - as well as loads of others. they've been very helpful actually in me getting started. try The Herb Garden Shop

Originally posted by Growem View Post
          Wild garlic, also known as Ramson, is great stuff. I know it from when I lived in Germany, where it's called "Bears' Garlic", because apparently bears just awake after hibernating for the winter would eat the stuff up by the bucketload. Whether true or not, I really like it. It has a fresh, garlicky taste. Garlic in a leafy green format.

Comment

I never have very much luck with coriander in the winter but sweet genovese basil seems to go ok so long as it's in a sunny windowsill. I can just get one cutting out of the coriander in the winter before it gives up so, as long as you are ok with that, then it might be an idea to try it. I keep it on a south facing window inside in a room that is heated well. If it gets too cold it sulks then sadly dies.

Mint is insane stuff so make sure when you grow it it is in it's own pot. The first time I grew it, it totally strangled the other herbs in the pot.

I bought ramsens from Ebay and it is pretty easy to grow. Though I'm not too sure on it yet

I particularly like some of the more unknown herbs especially welsh onions. I like to have a big variety for herbal remedies (inspired by James Wong....) so also have toothache plant, St Johns Wort (for healing wounds rather than the more known use of depression) and loads of calendula for skin complaints as well as the more usual chamomile, lavender, mint etc

I have to say I am a bit addicted to herbs as they smell so nice....
            Last edited by wssla00; 24-10-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

wild garlic is out now and flowering, if you know where to find some collect the seeds from flowers as i did, and grow it in your garden

Comment

Originally posted by Diva1983 View Post
                Hi folks,

I'm keen to start cracking on with growing some herbs as I seem to kill potted herb plants

So, I've previously managed to grow thyme from seeds (would you believe I forgot all about them and went back to the pot a while later and had some lovely fresh herbs ).

Can I start the germination process now? I'm keen to have the following to use this year fresh from the garden:

garlic chives

normal chives
                corriander
                flat leave parsley
                mint (of many varieties-is mint easy to germinate?!)
                oregano

basil-including purple ruffles etc

And, what the heck is wild garlic and can I get the seeds from anywhere (I know, its called wild, but

hey worth a try).

Diva

wild garlic is out now and flowering, if you know where to find some collect the seeds from flowers as i did, and grow it in your garde

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X