Tarragon

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarragon

Anyone grow Tarragon and have success? If so what type and where do you grow it(inside /outside)?
    Northern England.

I had a large clump of Russian tarragon outside CG - transplanted from my brother's allotments. It thrived for years.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My understanding is that Russian tarragon is the only one you can grow from seed. French tarragon can only be cultivated from root cuttings or by dividing an existing plant, as it doesn't produce flowers, meaning no seeds. Supposedly, French tarragon is finer in flavour, but I couldn't say from personal experience, having never tried it. A friend of mine had some but was so proud of it, she never cooked with it. A bit counter-productive really.

Like most herbs, it likes dry conditions. Good soil not a necessity. So no molly-coddling required so long as you can provide it with a sunny spot.

Comment

I tried to grow French Tarragon several times from garden centre plants in my allotment. They just died.

I bought yet another plant. I planted it in my greenhouse. Success! It thrives.

Comment

Thanks I will see if i can find some russian seeds, then try in the gh, I havn't seen any in our gc's before greenishfing.
          Northern England.

Comment

French tarragon can only be grown from cuttings but anywhere that sells little herb plants tends to sell it, and online too. It is the nicest tasting. After a few years you need to split the plant.

Comment

Funny enough I've just had an email off marshslls about free delivery on seeds, looking through I noticed you can order French tarragon plugs
              Northern England.

Comment

Russian tarragon has little flavour in my opinion, French is far better, but I've never managed to over-winter a plant yet, despite all manner of precautions!
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                  Russian tarragon has little flavour in my opinion, French is far better, but I've never managed to over-winter a plant yet, despite all manner of precautions!
                  I wonder if would over winter in the house? Have you tried that too?
                  Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post

I wonder if would over winter in the house? Have you tried that too?
                    Yep tried that, didn't survive. Might be the central heating creating too dry an atmosphere maybe....
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Bought some little plugs, potted them on today
                      Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X