Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregano

Hi all,

I sowed some Oregano 'Greek' (I think I've added a link) earlier in the year & shared some of the resulting plantlets with my mother.

I shamefully let mine dry out in the modules so they ended up in the compost but mother potted hers on & they grew well - however, she commented the other day that she found it very bitter tasting. My experience of Oregano is that it is slightly bitter but not overpoweringly so as she described.

I wondered if perhaps there is a sweeter/less bitter variety that we could perhaps try next year but also wondered if the weather can impact taste (e.g. it's said that if you let chilli plants go dry between waterings then you get hotter chillies - although that might be a myth idk).
    Oregano Greek Seeds from Mr Fothergill's Seeds and Plants. 1500 seeds. Mediterranean favourite.

I don't know about oregano but chillies can vary enormously in "heat" depending how they are grown. I remember a few years ago growing chilli plants and sharing the seedlings with my sister. When mine were ripe I tried them and decided that they were far, far too hot. My sister visited and I asked her if she wanted some of the chillies as they were too hot for me. Knowing that she had the same plants from the same packet of seeds she looked at me as if I was mad, picked one and bit half off........... When she could eventually speak again🥵🥵 and I had stopped laughing she agreed that somehow mine were stratospherically hot compared to hers. She probably looked after hers better than I did.

Comment

lol greenishfing - I can picture your sister's face We've definitely found our chillies to be much hotter than advertised for the variety we've grown this year. We're not complaining as we don't mind the heat & didn't realise how mild these were supposed to be when I bought the seed (I was swayed by the pretty coloured fruit). Although the younger chillies aren't so potent, the properly red ones make your lips tingle! Strangely enough (& forgive the crudity) but although they're hot going in, they're not hot on the way out - makes me wonder what they do to the commercial ones

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X