Cat Grass Seedlings Rotting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Grass Seedlings Rotting

Well ladies and gents, it seems I can't even grow Cat Grass. Simple long grass seeds sown into a container of sieved soil/compost. It says to keep them moist, which I did with a light sprinkling of water and they have all rotted. I just can't win

Sowed three more pots last week on damp compost, in greenhouse and again rotted. This surely can't be right, especially for something robust like grass seeds.

Comment

I’ve never grown it but I saw this…
      • Sow your seeds. Sow cat grass seeds directly into your soil, about a quarter-inch deep. If you are planting in rows, ensure they are one inch apart. Cat grass can grow indoors all year round since there’s no threat of frost with the unpredictable spring weather.
      • Germinate. For indoor growing, keep your soil moist. Partially cover your planting pot in plastic wrap and place in a warm and dark place. After two to three days, your cat grass seedlings should start sprouting.
      • Provide direct sunlight. Cat grass will need plenty of sunlight while growing. Make sure your cat grass receives direct sunlight by placing it near a windowsill that can provide full sun exposure.
      • Firm the soil. Firm the soil lightly and keep it evenly moist. Be careful not to overwater, as it can ruin the roots.
      • Maintain and harvest. Use less water once the seeds have sprouted above the soil line. Once the grass has reached about three inches long, you can feed it to your cat. The roots will be solid enough to not be ripped out, and more will grow in its place.
      so many of your plants seem to reach a point then frustratingly start dying. My gut feeling it’s to do with your watering technique or your compost or a combination of them both.
      We had a friend visit recently who told us none of his neighbours will let him water their plants whilst they are away - only his wife- as within three weeks of them returning the plants die.
      It turns out that he overwaters everything. He was determined he didn’t overwater, but when seeing how much we watered our plants
      he was surprised. Clearly his definition/ perception of overwatering was way more than other peoples’.
      Not saying this is applies to you, but it might be worth keeping an open mind on thus? Maybe do an experiment growing three pots and giving different amounts of water, taking photos daily to compare.
      You never know, you may be watering the top little and often and nothing is getting down to the roots?….maybe one good drenching every so often or bottom watering might make a difference? Maybe you are over feeding them?
      Every plant will have subtly different needs and I’m starting to think you need to step back and reassess your growing methods?
      You clearly have plants which do really well for you, maybe other plants need treating differently?

Just a thought marb. Don’t get down and frustrated by these ‘failures’ - think of them as a learning experience. Make a note of what didn’t work for certain plants and find alternative ways of caring for them…some plants actually thrive on neglect

https://www.drelseys.com/2022/05/13/...atnip-indoors/
      Last edited by Nicos; 09-07-2023, 10:38 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It is hard for us to know how much water they get. It said to keep them moist,the top of the compost can be dry but the seeds can be in the moisture zone,maybe a water sprayer would help for just a light second watering,I use a water bottle with a hole pierced through the lid,to give a shallow watering to seeds sown undercover,it comes out like rain dripping around. It’s really handy mini watering can -
        Click image for larger version

Name:	4E48A30E-8854-43D3-BEA1-DD9CFDBC1EDD.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	943.5 KB
ID:	2565164

Comment

But again, I don't overwater. I go into the greenhouse and see some plants starting to wilt, and then I water so it can't be that. Granted on some occasions I have transgressed the watering rule but I watered the seeds once and left them. They rotted. I have sown 3 more pots and left them on a table in the garden to get natural rain. Nothing has come up. If I can't grow something like cat grass I may as well give up.
          Last edited by Marb67; 15-07-2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

If none of the seeds have come up maybe it’s the seeds. I’ve grown cat mint but not cat grass,isn’t that just normal type of grass? Our cat eats bits of the normal grass on the lawn,cat mint is great,I took these photos of our cat eating cat mint because he looked cute,very easy to germinate too He was laying on the grass & I put the pot in front of him,he smelt it & started eating it it’s clever how they know what is ok to eat
            Click image for larger version

Name:	383891CD-F62E-48A1-9753-078FBF271773.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	2565485 Click image for larger version

Name:	23A31AC3-1102-40FA-BC6B-A19737819C27.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	620.5 KB
ID:	2565486

Comment

3 more pots sown (finished the whole packet) and all not come up except one pathetic blade. It's Suttons seeds for sure as I have had a lot of their packets not show, or at best poor this year.
              Last edited by Marb67; 27-07-2023, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X