Dying Sage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Sage

Well, I am absolutely dumbfounded at why my Sage plants (pot and in herb bed) are looking so near to death. The one in the raised herb bed is in the conditions ideal (not too wet or dry with plenty of drainage) and the other in the pot was one given to me by my late mum from her garden in it's own soil where it thrived in the pot for a while. I am really starting to get convinced that any plant that comes into my contact is certain to be moribund. Even the Thyme plants have died in the herb bed.
    Attached Files

Give it more time…one of mine is much bigger than that and in the same condition.
    Have you got it in a position where it can get any sun at the moment?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The one in the bed has some sun now March is here but the pot Sage is at the front of the house which is South facing.

Comment

Marb, I used to have a magnificent sage plant in a pot, but it did really badly one extremely cold winter. It didn't revive in the spring. I was heartbroken, as I'd had it for years and used the leaves regularly. Nowhere near as bad as losing one from your late mum's garden, though. You have my sympathy.

With regard to my plant, I put it down to two possible factors. Plants don't live for ever. And maybe the roots froze in the pot. The same could be true of yours. Maybe you could prune your mum's a bit shorter and wait to see if it sprouts from the bottom. Fingers crossed for you.

The one in your herb bed might pull through. Spring has barely begun. Even though temperatures are unseasonably warm, the days are still relatively short. It's early days yet to be writing it off.

Comment

I have got a very old sage plant that looks like it has died.
          A cutting from it is looking fine apart from that end of winter tatty look like your one in the bed.
          It is time for another cutting.
          Last edited by Plot70; 25-03-2023, 04:32 AM.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

My venerable sage died last year for no apparent reason. It was in the ground, must have been getting on for 15 years old and in the peak of health, but then died over winter. I bought a new one in spring. I must go and see if it has survived this winter.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Well there is no new growth almost 3 months on despite the hot weather sage likes. I really need to save this plant as it was my late mum's

And for goodness sake, why does this stupid site say "please upload at least 1 photo" when I have already uploaded it and can see it in my preview. Its not rocket science.

Last edited by Marb67; 16-06-2023, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Sorry to see that marb.
                Are you sure it’s still alive?

Try tipping it gently out of its pot to see if there is any recent live root growing.
                Maybe share another piccies with us?
                Maybe cut those branches back a tad and look to see if they are green and alive at the fresh cut . The cut off ends look brown and dead, but you do need to see if they are alive further down.

Re the photos - we are hoping the updates due in the next few weeks will start rectifying some of our old problems here on the Vibe
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X