Parsley

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsley

I use lots of parsley in the kitchen and I've never had success growing it. I just wondered if anyone else had better results and whether it is better to grow curly leaf, flat leaf or both?

I have in recent years kept an eye on the reduced to clear shelves in supermarkets.
    There is sometimes pots of ready sprouted parsley looking slightly scruffy. It is cheaper than buying a packet of seed.
    I split the root balls up and plant them up directly in the ground where they go on to flower and produce seed.
    The seeds appear to overwinter better on the dried stems outside. You can move the dried stems closer to where you want the seed to set.
    Either work around any seedlings or move them with a generous root ball.
    They are bi-annual so you need to plant over two years.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I have grown both parsleys from seed which have grown fine, but I've also bought the growing herbs from Asda for 50p, split them up and grown them on. You get loads of plants!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

For me it was Aldi last year and Asda this year.
        I split the clumps into about half a dozen bits and put them in. The stronger plants take and the weaker ones just die out.
        It appears odd that live plants have become more cost effective than seed if you know where to look.

Comment

I leave my flat and curly leaf parsley to self seed it seems to do better than when I sow the seeds myself.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The best parsley I've grown from seed this year has been Giant of Italy (started off indoors before planting out). Despite the heavy rains and strong winds we've had this last fortnight, it's still looking tall, fresh and happy in a big pot outside the kitchen.

The parsley I planted out earlier in the year (after having split up a supermarket pot) is not nearly as big or healthy.

Comment

The supermarket pot plants produce a lush clump early in there second year. They spend the remainder of there first summer putting there roots down and recovering from transplanting.

Comment

I have a parsley plant growing outdoors from a supermarket plant.It' a bit too small to use the leaves but I will leave it and see what it does in the spring. If and when it runs to seed I will try letting the seeds drop on the compost and see if it will self propagate. I have no idea whether any of the shop bought parsley is grown from F1 seeds so I will just have to take 'pot luck'and wait and see.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The supermarket suppliers will not use posh seeds. They will most likely use seed that produces small plants quickly in pots.
                  The bean counters would not allow anything that takes time or costs more money than absolutely necessary.
                  They will most likely be the leftovers from one of the big seed suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                    The supermarket suppliers will not use posh seeds. They will most likely use seed that produces small plants quickly in pots.
                    The bean counters would not allow anything that takes time or costs more money than absolutely necessary.
                    They will most likely be the leftovers from one of the big seed suppliers.
                    Its probably 'grown' (like most of the horticultural trade) in china then shipped to Holland to grow on then sold to the supermarkets,

Parsley you need a bit of patience to grow from seed, My Grandma always said it has to go to the devil seven times before it comes up I find I get slightly better results early one using the heated bench to give a bit of bottom warmth I don't know if theres a reason for that or just because I'm luckier at that time
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

Its probably 'grown' (like most of the horticultural trade) in china then shipped to Holland to grow on then sold to the supermarkets,

Parsley you need a bit of patience to grow from seed, My Grandma always said it has to go to the devil seven times before it comes up I find I get slightly better results early one using the heated bench to give a bit of bottom warmth I don't know if theres a reason for that or just because I'm luckier at that time
                      My Dad used to use the same quote , but for parsnips, which also take ages to germinate!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

My Dad used to use the same quote , but for parsnips, which also take ages to germinate!
                        The trouble is most of my parsnips and parsley don't ever find their way back.

Comment

I guess I assumed that supermarket parsley would be grown using micropropagation: like cuttings but more controlled.

This is more like a lab or pharmaceutical process until the plants are big enough to treat more like horticulture.
                          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I have grown parsley successfully from supermarket pots and seed. Although seed is more hit and miss. I soak mine in hot water for a couple of hours before sowing which I like to think helps.
                            Also for me the flat leaf is easier to get going than the curly and seems to survive the winter less ravaged. But Chef prefers curled so that is mostly what I grow. Covered with a cloche it survives well all winter and even grows a bit outside here in the mild SW albeit needing a good dunking before use to get rid of the whitefly.

Comment

Update to say have just checked my pots after a few days away and lo and behold the packet parsley I sowed a month ago has not moved. But the fresh parsley seed I sowed from a seed head a couple of weeks ago is up already. It will sit in the greenhouse to grow on slowly over winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X