Coriander seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coriander seed

The coriander was dying back but I left it to develop seeds. Ripped it out yesterday and got lots of mainly green seeds which I think I can keep and use? How do I store them though? The smell as so pungent when I was stripping them off I imagine they will a stronger flavour then the shop bought stuff.

If they're still green you will need to dry them well, until they are brown and hard. Then I'd just store them in a small jar, like you buy them in in a supermarket, maybe with a sachet of silica gel.

Comment

Oh ok. Could it work to put them on a tray in the greenhouse to dry do you think?

Comment

I would leave the seed on the vine until it is ripe. If you are not prepared to leave it in the ground try standing it in a jar of water.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
          I would leave the seed on the vine until it is ripe. If you are not prepared to leave it in the ground try standing it in a jar of water.
          Assuming they are simply being dried for use as a spice, not to try and grow next year, there's no need for that. It doesn't matter that the seeds might not have ripened properly, as there is no need for them to be viable. They just need to dry such that they will keep without going mouldy.

Comment

being an ex chrysanth grower I've load of paper bags and you could cut the stems and hang them some where dry upside down in the bag so as they dry they drop intos the bag. or if you can find some with a fine enough mesh, Mesh bags are good as theres a bit of air flow then .
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X