Perilla for itchy insect bites

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perilla for itchy insect bites

This year, I planted lots of plants to attract predator insects and pollinators. So there’s lots of poached egg plant and borage everywhere.

On the plus side, I’ve had next to no sawfly larvae problems and aphids haven’t been too bad.

The big drawback is that I have loads of flower bugs and they’ve been eating me alive. It turns out, flower bug bites make me itch far more than horsefly bites and the reaction is much bigger.

Thankfully, I’ve been growing red and green shiso (perilla) as well as Korean perilla. Perilla contains natural antihistamines. I’ve been rubbing the bruised leaves over my numerous bites and getting great relief from it.

thought you might find that useful to know.

Aldo wondering if anyone has any other useful tips for medicinal culinary herbs.

Never heard of perilla but with a bit of a google I can see it's a useful plant!
    It's interesting to see the culinary/ gardening uses of herbs which are available from different parts of the world.

**Mod note**
    However, I'm afraid we can't give medical advice here on the Vine as people react in different ways and what might be safe for one person might cause major problems for someone else.

Here is a list of plants I've found which deter garden 'pests'
    https://gardencenterohio.com/herbs-2/herbs-repel-bugs/

Look into Companion plants too as natural pest control
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X