Lemon Balm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Balm

Does anyone grow this, I have some sown in a tray in the greenhouse which are doing quite well, I grew this over 35 years ago outside when living in the Midlands, but wonder how tough it is, will it survive a summer up here in NE Scotland out side or should I put some in a pot?

My o/h grew is...and i am trying to get rid of it , but it still came up all over the place..so i would say very tough...

Comment

We have it taking over parts of our gardens. (Mostly in shaded areas)
      It’s even taken over my mint bed.
      We’ve had -18C and it’s survived. And 40C ...

Tuff as ol’boots as Ms_T says
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have mine in a pot in the ground to try to stop it creep-spreading, but I still find tiny lemon balm plants springing up all over the plot at this time of year from the seeds. Whilst I am at the other end of the country, I don't think you'd have problems in NE Scotland - it's a very enthusiastic grower.

The little self-seeded plants I have are only a cm or two tall at the moment, but sprouted outside without no help from me, without a problem in early march, so it's very tough.

Comment

Ok I have a large empty pot, just the place for it then lol.

Comment

Could I ask, how do you all use lemon balm? We had some self set on the plot in a few places (like you say it's quite persistent..) so I used some to make a refreshing tea. Probably the way I did it but I'd have to say it was rather underwhelming and not at all refreshing. Shame really because the freshly picked leaves smell great.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

A few ideas here
              20 Uses For Lemon Balm In The Kitchen & Beyond (ruralsprout.com)

Comment

Great link Burnie!

Bones- I have only ever used mine for herbal teas using about 12 leaves per cup.
                It works wonders too (in the tea form ) on upset tummies.
                Melissa drops are a well known herbal treatment in place of Imodium ,but it does take longer and repeated doses to work.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Great link Burnie, thank you, and thanks Nicos. I didn't use nearly enough leaves an didn't let it steep for long enough either.. obvious really when I step back and look at it.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I moved my lemon balm from the back to front garden about a month ago. It got damaged quite badly with the recent snow but coming back. Seems pretty tough.

Comment

I planted some lemon balm once and keep finding it coming up. I strip the leaves and freeze with water in ice cube trays to use in Summer drinks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X