Drying Bay Leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying Bay Leaves

I've had a quick search and couldn't find anything so i thought i would ask...

Has anyone got some advice on how to dry and store Bay leaves? i was given a standard bay tree last year and would really like to start storing some for future use. i'v been using them fresh this year which im really happy with, just fancied learning how to store them.
    "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
    - Henry Beard

I don't know what the current preferred method is but I do as my Grandmother did and string mine up in my garage Pete. It has a door at either end so well ventilated and gets really warm in good weather. I dry all sorts hanging from nails on the rafters, lavender, chamomile, calendula, rosemary and also stuff like onions.

It takes anywhere from a week to three weeks depending on the weather but it is important to be sure they are completely dry before storing in an airtight container. If you have nowhere to successfully dry them you could always freeze them fresh? Just wash them and lay them on a tray in the freezer so they freeze individually.
    East Berkshire

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

I just bring sprigs home from the allotment every few weeks and dump them on the kitchen windowsill. I start using them but once they have completely dried out I take the remaining leaves off the stems and store them in a small jam jar in a drawer or give them away.

Comment

I hang bunches up in the kitchen away from the heat/ damp/ light
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We keep our bay leaves on the tree all year round and use them seconds after picking.
          At supermarket prices we have just dumped hundreds of £s worth of them due to the open ground planted tree getting too big.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518E.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	2519619
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

That looks a bit like my neighbours tree before he removed it.

I also use bay leaves straight from the plant but have in the past froze /dried some just to experiment. Like others have said they do dry out fine hung indoors or easier if you have a dehydrator.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all, i might give it a go and see how i get on.

After doing some further reading online, it seems that the fresh ones are a bit more "pokey" than the dried ones (1 fresh to 2 dried).

I've been keeping it in the greenhouse over winter - i hear they aren't particularly fond of the wet.
              - Henry Beard

Comment

Originally posted by Peteyd View Post
                Thanks for the advice all, i might give it a go and see how i get on.

After doing some further reading online, it seems that the fresh ones are a bit more "pokey" than the dried ones (1 fresh to 2 dried).

I've been keeping it in the greenhouse over winter - i hear they aren't particularly fond of the wet.
                Unless you get particularly cold winters, I can't imagine you'll have any trouble leaving it outside where you are. Wet only bothers them when it's also very cold.
                Mine gets left outside all year round, and it's always fine. Indeed, bay grows like a weed here in the rainy south-west. If you bare plant one in the ground then it will sucker and spread everywhere.

Comment

I lost a bay tree a few winters ago when we had a fair bit of snow since then I always taken them in the GH at the first sign of snow.
                  Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-03-2021, 06:10 PM.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My two bay trees stay outdoors and have been fine..about 12 year old and never had a problem.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Once they are mature they are bomb proof outside.
                      The soil froze to 4 inches this year and a cutting started last year is beginning to start producing new growth already.
                      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I've killed a few baby bay trees inadvertently but I agree they are pretty much bomb proof once they get going. Mine was a little stick in a pot from a supermarket originally. Now it's bigger than me.

Comment

Good to hear that i may have been a bit over protective with it. I think, while i can still carry it and have the room, i might continue for a year or so more but after that.. its on its own!
                          - Henry Beard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X