Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suitable pot size for the majority of herbs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable pot size for the majority of herbs?

Hey everyone,

First post! I am planning to start both a culinary and medicinal herb garden this year. An added bonus will be to strategically place certain herbs around the garden as a form of companion planting to deter pests.

I don’t want to plant in the ground at this time so for now I’m going with pots that can be moved around. As the title says, however, I’m unsure of what pot size. I know it will depend on the herb to an extent but just in a very general sense, what size pot do you think would be suitable. I have a bunch of 5litre pots and hoping these will do.

Hello and welcome. I would think 5 litre pots would be plenty big enough for most annual herbs, but perennials such as Bay, Rosemary and Lavender grow really huge eventually.

Comment

Hi there, and Welcome to the Vine

Sounds fine to me too....you can always buy bigger eventually.

What are you thinking of growing?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You can grow a few different plants together in one pot,if you’ve got a tomato plant in a pot,basil can be sown right next to it along with a French marigolds to keep whitefly away. A mixture of plants makes things more confusing to the pests. My rosemarys been in a small pot for years,I’m surprised it’s alright,although it’s growing sideways

Comment

I grow mine in a variety of size pots depending on what they are and how big they will grow. Parsley, lavender, rosemary, thyme and mint all grow fast and spread so I put these in individual troughs or large pots (20L-40L), the rest I have have all nestled together in a raised bed. My tree is now a mini tree so that is in a 50L pot by itself too.
          Last edited by TheLancsLass; 22-04-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X