X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basil / Thai Basil watering advice

Hi All

Newbie here so please be gentle.

I am growing Thai basil indoors and after reading through the forum see that watering from the bottom up is the best way.

Question - how long do I leave it sitting in water - can it be left all week until the water is gone, or should it only be left in for a short time and then moved onto a dry surface.

As I know some plants like to stay in water and drink as and when they are hungy.

Thank you

Nigel

Welcome Nigel, I'm no expert on herbs, but as a general rule of thumb, I only leave water and marginal plants standing in water for longer than a few hours, the soil/compost often goes sour if too wet. Try a read of this.............. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/herbs/basil

Comment

Welcome to the vine Nigel,if the pots are sitting on saucers you can pour a little amount of water into the saucer & within five or ten minutes the water should all be taken up by the plant,you get used to the amount of water to pour in,it’s not that much. Then a couple of days with no water,sometimes you can lift the pots to see if they’re still a bit heavy with water,depends on the size of the pots.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

So took them out of the water and they have improved, as per above will leave them in for a couple of hours and then take out.

Definitely agree leaving them in all the time they do not respond as well.

One thing I have noticed fish blood and bone and Basil takes of like a rocket, I fed the them in the garden this summer and it was like a jungle.

Comment

^^^ worth knowing! ...thanks
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X