very sick sage - help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very sick sage - help!

I have a large culinary sage plant bought from the garden centre in a medium sized pot outside. It has been fine for months - and is now very very sick. The leaves are all curling up, and drying out - the soil is not dry (perhaps too wet but not soaking) - the pot is on a sunny patio. I can't find much about risks - when I look inside teh curled leaves there are some very tiny insects but no patches or marks on leaves, just the massive curling - it looks nearly dead which is such a shame! Any suggestions please?
    thanks lots
    Sali

It seems that Sage does not like it's roots in the wet and needs feeding, have a read of this
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/herbs/sage

Comment

Might be a good time to cut it right back too and discard those dead leaves/growing stems?
      There is still time for it to put on new growth if you can provide a happier growing environment.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've always ground sage in the open ground - one plant will easily do 40 years grown this way. My guess would be that the compost in your pot has become waterlogged for some reason or possibly some beasties are eating the roots. I'd knock it out of the pot its in and have a good look at the roots - whether the plant can be saved depends on what the problem is.

BTW they are very easy plants to propagate from layers, so if you do know someone with a big sage bush you could probably get a replacement from them just for the asking.

Comment

I have had a couple shrivel up and die.
          I had cuttings and just grew new bushes.
          If you were closer to me I have at least two varieties due for moving. This will most likely be done by taking cuttings followed by grubbing out the old plants.
          One already has cuttings rooted and establishing in the new location.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Thank you all so much!
            Yes it could have been waterlogged - we've had a lot of rain recently (Derbyshire)
            and there could be beasts in the compost - will try - I have some good draining compost (rubbish for main growing, but good drainage!)
            and have taken a handful of cuttings, in water on the windowsill (I'm locked down at mum-in-laws, so limited availability of space or tools or pots)
            really appreciate your suggestions - will let you know what happens
            thanks
            Sali

Comment

Where in Derbyshire are you?
              I am northeast Derbyshire near the bordrr with Nottinghamshire.
              Cuttings are going to be taken soon and there are likely to be spares.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X