No announcement yet.

Can I grow lemon grass?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got seeds this year and they have germinated within a week in an propagator on my windowsill. I plan to move it into pots into the unheated greenhouse and bring it back in over winter.

Comment

Regarding rooting compound
      3 weeks in water with rooting compound seemed to do little to spark Lemongrass into rooting.
      Replaced water with fresh this week and roots begining to grow. Whether this is down to the rooting compound, warmer weather or water change is difficult to say. I should have kept one stalk as a control. Oh how quickly those days of school science are forgotten. At least they seem to have kick started and I can look forward to my Thai curries later in the year. P

Comment

I've never found rooting hormone to be of any use at all. I stopped buying it several years ago
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I only put mine in glass a few days ago, and by day three, already had a root in one and another rooted the following day. It was a severely trimmed and quite old looking bunch from Tesco's too, and I just removed the outer browning leaves and snipped a bit off the dry shoot ends then plopped the threesome into an inch of water, changing it every other day, kept it in the sunny windowsill during the day and on the mantel at night.

Comment

^ I think the warmth and daylight are now just at the level they need. Mine didn't root until about a week ago
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thought I'd mention this here for future information's sake - one stalk looked dead when I came back from about ten days away, all brown and kinda soft when squished. But I left it in the pot, just in case - and today, the dry and brown leaves had been pushed aside by two greens leaves inside.

Comment

just heard on TV, lemon grass seeds need to be warm to germinate and if you want to grow stalks the water has to be changed regularly. maybe this explains some of the problems people have had?

happy xmas!

Comment

Hello merlin and welcome!
                  I've just put 4 stalks into water this week - they were being sold off cheap in the supermarket. Nothing ventured.........

Comment

I have successfully grown from seed a couple of times. This year I have managed to keep plants going over winter in my conservatory so I will try planting them out in late may.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Hello merlin and welcome!
                      I've just put 4 stalks into water this week - they were being sold off cheap in the supermarket. Nothing ventured.........
                      Update - one of the stalks rooted and has been potted up. The other 3 are still alive so still in with a chance

Comment

Which supermarkets sell it? I have only ever seen it in the Far East and would love to have it as the smell is to die for!

Comment

Warmth and sun are key to good lemon grass. I find them quite thirsty in pots as they have a good root system, but will probably do better in the ground. Dont put them out until all frost has gone and get them back in in plenty of time later in the year.
                          Do you know which species it is? Cymbopogon citratus (true lemon grass) used to be very easy to get hold of, but seems hard to find now. Its quite a tall upright plant. Its replacement is Cymbopogon flexuosus. Its tastes very similar, but is a much shorter more open plant. They both grow in the same conditions.

Comment

And from seed, dont expect useable stems until the end of the summer, they are quite slow to fatten up.

Comment

Originally posted by gig100 View Post
                              Which supermarkets sell it? I have only ever seen it in the Far East and would love to have it as the smell is to die for!
                              Hello gig and welcome. I think most of the large supermarkets sell lemon grass - usually in little packets of 4 in with the "exotics" like chill peppers and ginger root. Hope you find some.

Comment

Mine died after a heavy summer rain, hopefully will buy diring London plant fair in 3 weeks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X