Newbie help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie help!

Hello to everyone! I'm new to this site and to gardening etc so please bear with my newbie and probably sill sounding questions

I am planning to start a small herb garden and was looking for some advice. If this has been covered in another thread, please feel free to give me a cyber bump on the head and point me in the right direction.

I have a pretty big garden but was thinking of keeping the herbs seperate from that in pots etc. I have been reading up on all the different herbs so I think I know roughly how to keep them going but was just looking for some suggestions on where to start i.e what pots to get, what are the best herbs to start with etc

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

The best herbs are those you plan to use for cooking. I recommend sage, thyme, chives, parsley (flat leaved), coriander, oregano/marjoram, a rosemary bush and a bay tree. Basil is probably best grown on a windowsill indoors. Pots tend to dry out unless you can water them every day, so if you have a large garden then planting them in the ground would be better IMO, preferably not too far from the kitchen door.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Great! Thanks for answering so quickly! Can I get a rosemary bush and bay tree easily i.e homebase or dobbies?

Comment

If you know someone with a rosemary bush then just take a cutting. Nip off a shoot and place it in water until the roots appear and then plant out. Bay trees can be grown from cuttings too but probably need rooting powder in compost. If you can't wait then they are readily available in garden centres and Homebase-type stores.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X