Cardoon

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardoon

I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE GIVEN 16 DIFFERENT HERBS FROM MY LOCAL GARDEN CENTRE FOR FREE (£25 WORTH!).

ONE OF THE HERBS IS CALLED CARDOON BUT I CAN'T FIND IT IN ANY OF MY GARDENING BOOKS AND I'VE NO IDEA WHAT I CAN DO WITH IT.
    KERNOW CHICK

Here you go....

BBC - Gardening - Plants - Plant Finder - Cynara cardunculus

They grow quite a bit of it in France. I bought a packet of seeds this year and never got round to sowing them

Oh....and welcome to the Vine!
    Last edited by Nicos; 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I was really lucky in that Jeanine sent me a cardoon head, but so far I've had no luck in getting any seeds to germinate. I see Nicos that its ideal for a beginner! I must be doing something wrong!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

My favourid cardoon wad alwayd Top Cad as a kid.

Sorry, bit of a cold.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I'm growing cardoon again this year and found the seeds very easy to germinate even though they were last years seed!

I sowed it last year then chopped it off with a hoe thinking it was a thistle. I had a few seeds left and sowed some again this year and they are just about ready to plant out. Hopefully I know what they look like now and won't do the same again.

Just as an aside I also grew Seakale last year from seed but the pigeons annialated it and I thought I had lost it. I decided to put blackcurrants in the bed it was in and low and behold it then decided to make an appearance. I now have two plants of it with wonderdul flowers similar to a large gypsophilia!

Looking forward to the cardoon flowering, but it may not be until next year now!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

and from on Kernow chick to another - take ya caps lock of please It makes it hard to read your posts - yer I know, I know, moaning ole bat that oi is
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

I,v grown this from seed easy once you get past the slug dinner stage! not sure which part is edible just like the look of the plant.had 2 flowers on last year looking forward to more this year
              marg
              Imagine all the people, living life in peace,
              You may say I.m a dreamer, but I,m not the only one
              John Lennon Imagine

Comment

Originally posted by theothermarg View Post
                I,v grown this from seed easy once you get past the slug dinner stage! not sure which part is edible just like the look of the plant.had 2 flowers on last year looking forward to more this year
                marg
                I think you blanche it like celery by wrapping a hesian sack filled with straw around it!
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Once you've got a cardoon, it'll get bigger and bigger. I (rather roughly) moved one from my mother's garden, lifting 5 pieces from what had been a small plant last year. Transplanted into rough ground and all showing flower heads (I don't grow it to eat, the books suggest it's not very, umm, interesting)
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I always thought that since victorian times it was only grown for it's flower,indeed I'm sure Geoff Hamilton said it tasted "awfull".Try letting your globe artichoke go to flower as they are similar.I used to put them in as a wind break for my veggies when down in the midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                      I always thought that since victorian times it was only grown for it's flower,indeed I'm sure Geoff Hamilton said it tasted "awfull".Try letting your globe artichoke go to flower as they are similar.I used to put them in as a wind break for my veggies when down in the midlands.
                      If you have a look at the Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD I'm sure there's a section on there where Harry Dodson is blanching cardoon with a straw rope!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X