French Tarragon appeal

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Tarragon appeal

Well, I was thinking my herb bed lacked tarragon when my neighbour showed up with some seed. Hooray thinks I, sowed and pricked out a tray of thirty specimens that were lovingly grown on and looking healthy. So I thought I might refer to my herb manual for any last minute tips before setting out.... 'you don't need much tarragon as little goes a long way' says book...great....27 too many!.....book explains.....make sure it's French and not the Russian..'It has poor flavour and is extremely invasive.'.......crushing realisation the label I wrote says...Russian ...mildly irritated I return to square one.

Can anyone spare a few FRENCH tarragon seeds or slips please?

Paulottie, pm me and I'll see what I can do - I have about 2 dozen that I've grown on from root divisions this year.

Want some lovage also? Great celery substitute.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I've heard you can't buy French Tarragon as seed. I googled for this: "French tarragon rarely sets seed. It is propagated by division, or from cuttings. Division is best undertaken during the dormant period - autumn or early spring. Carefully cut or gently pull a piece of root apart from the main plant, making sure there is a dormant bud attached. Cut the piece of root to about 8-10cm (3-4in) in length. Put these to root, laid horizontally or vertically, in a well drained organic cuttings mix. Keep them cool but frost-free. Water initially, but keep the compost on the dry rather than wet side" French tarragon
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Good on you for realising - just don't give in and plant your seedlings to see what happens. We had the wretched stuff (Russian, not French) growing up through the floor on the inside of the house from a patch outside.

bahhh. My totally organic ethos had to go on holiday as I had to nuke it with glyphostae for THREE years before I finally killed it (I think.....still keeping a watch on the living room floor.........), of course could kill the outside bit but couldn't nuke the bit growing under the house!

LCG

Comment

I definitely don't need to introduce a new problem plant but you know me too well It is a wrench to chucK a whole tray! Will be strong!

Thanks Tony, Will do.

Comment

Tony if you have enough spare I would love some also some of the lovage. Anything you are short of? I love swapping. Jan

Comment

I got French tarragon by rooting pieces from a supermarket pack.

Have managed to keep it for years, overwintering in the greenhouse.

valmarg

Comment

Good thought Valmarg I used those to patch in propergation disasters...infact I grew Thyme from their seedlings for a while.

I'll see if Tony can sort some.... French Tarragon from The Dordogne seems to have a better resonance tha Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                  I'll see if Tony can sort some.... French Tarragon from The Dordogne seems to have a better resonance tha Tesco.
                  I doubt it will taste any better, quite apart from the fact that I do not shop at tesco

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X