Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing rosemary

Hi All,

I have been trying in vain to grow both rosemary and sage from seed but to no avail, even tried in a heated propogator but no luck,

Does anyone have a surefire way of growing these delightful herbs ?.

Any help greatly apreciated

get a cutting, they are really hard to do from seed
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Thanks for your reply, guess I will have to try and find some growing somewhere,,, even the GC does not have any in stock :-(

Comment

your a bit far away or you could of had some off mine.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I've always grown both from cuttings. Many people have them in their gardens and no-one would begrudge you a snippet or two. Ask around, I would.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thankyou anyway, the thought was nice :-)

Comment

I have had marginal success germinating rosemary seeds. Apparently they like darkness. I didn't give it any heat. They only thing is, it's import to check regularly, as the first seedlings will become leggy very quickly.
              The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it. -John Ruskin

http://wormsflowers.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Rosemary has grown about 3 inches in the same amount of months. It's been painfully slow. I'm sorely tempted to buy some as getting grief from DD's boyfriend who I told "don't buy any, I'll grow you some"

Comment

Hi - I had a lovely big bush of rosemary which I managed to kill this winter, but before it went I took some snippings which have slowly rooted. I dangled them in a glass of water until the taproots came, but you could just as well root them normally.

I'd advise asking / looking around for cuttings too. Good luck.
                  http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                  http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

growing rosemary

Why not just buy a small plant from a garden centre? They're usually pretty cheap
                    I have grown lots of rosemary plantsfrom cuttings, for friends,cut or tear a piece about 6 to 9 inches long, dip it in hormone rooting powder, then put into compost. success rate is variable, sometimes very good, sometimes only about a quarter will grow, so do at least 6 cuttings. you can always pass on the extras

rosemary has a strange resistance to frost the above ground plant survives a frost, but the roots will freeze. so if you have it in a pot or container, bring it into shelter for winter - a greenhouse, garage or similar. But if you plant it in yer proper soil the roots will usually go deep enough to survive

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post
                      Why not just buy a small plant from a garden centre? They're usually pretty cheap
                      I have grown lots of rosemary plantsfrom cuttings, for friends,cut or tear a piece about 6 to 9 inches long, dip it in hormone rooting powder, then put into compost. success rate is variable, sometimes very good, sometimes only about a quarter will grow, so do at least 6 cuttings. you can always pass on the extras

rosemary has a strange resistance to frost the above ground plant survives a frost, but the roots will freeze. so if you have it in a pot or container, bring it into shelter for winter - a greenhouse, garage or similar. But if you plant it in yer proper soil the roots will usually go deep enough to survive
                      [QUOTE=Chillimad;232910]Thanks for your reply, guess I will have to try and find some growing somewhere,,, even the GC does not have any in stock :-([/QUOTE]

Travelled over 20 miles last weekend trolling garden centres with no success

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post

Originally posted by Chillimad View Post
                        Thanks for your reply, guess I will have to try and find some growing somewhere,,, [B]even the GC does not have any in stock :-(B]
                        Travelled over 20 miles last weekend trolling garden centres with no success

Comment

Would you like me to send you some of my rosemary? I will of course send the distructions with it!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X