Mint in a hanging basket.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint in a hanging basket.......

Would it work? I'm struggling to find room for all I want to grow. I love herbs and have a nice little herb bed, but we use loads of mint and I know its not a good idea to plant in in the ground, and I don't have the space to for it to have its own tub so I wondered if it would do well in a hanging basket? I picked up a pot of mint in Asda today, and for it said on the pot that it was suitable for replanting in the garden. What do you think????

I think a hanging basket would probably not be too good an idea, mint likes a cool damp root run. Mine is in 9inch pots on the patio, and seems quite happy, but a hanging basket would probably get too hot and dry. You can plant it in the ground, the only reason for not doing so is because it spreads like mad.

Comment

Back to the drawing board then.

Does mint "strangle" other plants then? The reason I ask is that my herb bed is about 3.5ft x 2.5 ft, but very deep (its a raised bed about hip height) but its totally separate from the rest of my raised beds, so I'm wondering if I were to put the mint in there, would it suffocate the rest of the herbs, or just grow like mad - the latter I can cope with as I use loads of mint.

Comment

it shouldn't suffocate them. Mint spreads in underground runners so it can pop up in unexpected places, I think that's why people worry. Personally I just plant it in and the pull it up if it comes up where I don't want it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X