Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to take lavender cuttings?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to take lavender cuttings?

Hi,

I would like to take some lavender cuttings to get a few bushes going on the allotment.

What is the best way to take and grow the lavender cuttings?

How long will they take until I can plant them out?
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

I seem to remember I took mine in summer, so I checked: yes, August. they are a bit tricky though, they don't like being damp. here's a link: Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Lavender & Rosemary Cuttings
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

my mom last year experiemented with rosemary cuttings took 25 cutting and put them in the gel stuff i forget what its called but you but the pots ready and push them through the foil into the gel and place on a window sill and then she got another 25 cutting put them in a seed tray watered and hoped she did better with the plant and hope method getting 15 from them and 12 with the gel trays im trying lavender cuttings at the mo with the water pot technique and the hormone gel in an pot on the window sill so will cross fingers and hope

Comment

I took cuttings of lavender last year (July) and placed in a smll pot full of mixed multi compost and grit.. Growing nicely.

They don't like being very wet iirc.

Comment

Hmmm, the RHS method says 'cut' their cuttings, but I tend towards propagating lavender using 'heel cuttings'. Pull the cuttings off the main plant so that a 'heel' of stem is left.

Take lavender cuttings | How to | Projects | BBC Gardeners' World

I don't bother with the hormone powder, although I read somewhere that seaweed solution can also be simarly used to dip into?
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-03-2008, 10:07 AM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I take then via heel cuttings to and find it works well. Like you Manda, I dont bother with rooting powders.

Comment

heel cutting work best but think about where your going to site them as lavender can grow out of control.........I know this from my last attempts.......
              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X