Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sage problems

Why can't I grow sage?
    I can grow t easy form seed, then it all goes wrong.
    It seems to stop growing, the leaves look so tatty and moth eaten, though I can find no trace of bugs! Both inside and outdoor plants look grim!
    Help need please.

Lol! At least you can grow it from seed, ours is still sitting in the pot not germinating!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

They don't like being overwatered and like loads of sun..but that wouldn't account for them being 'moth eaten'.

Sorry- no other ideas
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Maybe a moth ate it.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

My old granddad could grow ANYTHING except sage - no matter what he did it just wouldn't germinate for him. I think we all have a mental block with one simple type of seed (with me it's carrots) You may just have to accept that sage is yours. (Gamps couldn't grow Salvia either, which is a related flower)
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
            My old granddad could grow ANYTHING except sage - no matter what he did it just wouldn't germinate for him. I think we all have a mental block with one simple type of seed (with me it's carrots) You may just have to accept that sage is yours. (Gamps couldn't grow Salvia either, which is a related flower)

Mine's Basil, don't know why as it's supposed to be sooooo easy but I can never keep it going

Comment

I bought this sage from B&Q I think. This is what it looked like last July, but it has grown since then, I had to cut it back because it covered the osteospermum and geranium.

I do nothing to it except hack it back in spring (last weekend in fact). It is grown on a raised bed of fake sleepers in a soil made up of all sorts, including upturned turves which is riddled with ants nests (we are on sandy soil).

It's the only thing in the garden the slugs don't like.

I'm new to this forum but is it possible to post rooted cuttings if I can get one to root?
              Attached Files
              Nell

Comment

There are certain herbs I wouldn't grow from seeds, sage is one of them. It's so easy/cheap to buy as plant or even from cuttings. Rosemary, thyme, mint also easier to buy as plant or take cuttings because they'll only get so big (or take over) anyway so why the need to buy the seeds that you probably won't need for many many many years. Sorry just my thought.
                Last edited by veg4681; 07-03-2008, 02:52 PM.
                Food for Free

Comment

i agree with veg4681 that alot of the time it is easier to just buy a small herb for around 1:50 or less if your lucky, my mint i tried from seed last may, has decided to shoot now, i had given up on it and just left the pot out to the elements, i think some plants just know you are willing them to grow but are like kids and wont do as there blimin told , must admit i am jealous of nellie's sage though it huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mines well feeling sorry for its self at the mo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X