Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best compost

Hi everyone,

Im new to this site and to growing my own herbs, veggies, etc.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a good tip on which compost to use when growing herbs from seeds on a sunny windowsill? Also when is the best time of year to start? I take it spring but as im new to this, thought id ask.

I use multipurpose for most things. Also you need to check (the seed packets will tell you) whether your herbs are hardy or not. Many are but basil, for example, isn't so leave it till May to sow. The standard parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary etc are tough as old boots, though I wouldn't grow most of them fros seed myself - I buy in plants as I only want a bit. I grow chives, coriander and parsley from seed. Now is fine for these.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I use multi-purpose too because, as you might expect, it's suitable for just about everything, but please consider using a peat-free one - if you're growing your own it's always nice to know that you've done it with a minimum of environmental damage.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I use multi-purpose too, make sure if your growing in pots to add drainage. Herbs don't like their feet in water.
        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I use multipurpose for most things. Also you need to check (the seed packets will tell you) whether your herbs are hardy or not. Many are but basil, for example, isn't so leave it till May to sow. The standard parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary etc are tough as old boots, though I wouldn't grow most of them fros seed myself - I buy in plants as I only want a bit. I grow chives, coriander and parsley from seed. Now is fine for these.
          Basil is fine on a sunny widowsill, now.
          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X