Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poorly lemongrass

Hi everyone,
    I haven't been here for a long long time but the sun is shining, my workload has (temporarily) eased and a girl's thoughts turn to her greehouse.

I planted some lemongrass seeds last year, sold some of the plants at the school fete and kept two in large pots in my greenhouse. The greehouse has a heater which comes on when the temperature drops below zero. The lemongrass has died right back and I don't know if this is normal or whether I have killed it. There isn't a speck of green anywhere. I have watered it sparingly.

If have killed it, I'll have to start again this year.

Jools

Lemongrass is very tender and I'm not sure it can cope with even temps at zero. I brought mine into the conservatory and it looks basically exactly the same as it did in the summer except that it as pretty much stopped growing. As yours has died down I'd not bother watering it as you run the risk of it rotting and then add a bit (very sparingly) when the weather warms up. Fingers crossed it'll perk up. To be on the safe side have you any seeds left, could sow some on the window ledge so you know you'll have a plant come summer!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Sorry about your lemongrass Jools. I have succesfully over winter my lemon grass in house last year but this year they just give up and died !
      I will have to plant new ones too sadly .
      Why don't you try the supermarket ones, I am trying to root mine (supermarket ones) in a glass of water and if it rooted, will pot them up. This way should be faster than seeds grown lemongrass .
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Okay, thanks. They look pretty much deceased. Think I'll sow a few seeds and try some stalks from the supermarket too. Next year I'll bring them indoors!
        Jools

Comment

Hi Jools,

Did you root any lemon grass yet ? 1 of mine has start to root and the other one is showing some root sign .

Comment

Hi Momol
            No, not yet. Haven't been to the supermarket yet. How long did it take to root?
            Jools

Comment

About 9 days by now. If you do buy them choose the freshes one (the fresher the easier it root).

Comment

Okay, thanks Momol
                Julie

Comment

HI there, on the subject of Lemon Grass, I bought some seed last year but didn't sow it, do I scatter quite a few seeds into a pot or is it a 1 pot 1 seed type plant? When I very first started growing herbs a few years ago I planted a single chive seed in a pot, it grew very well (very lonely it was though!) but I thought 'this doesn't look like the stuff in shops!'. My mum thought it was hilarious and she told me I should have put in a few more seeds in the pot. I don't want to make the same mistake with Lemon Grass!!!
                  many thanks
                  Eden

Comment

I scattered a few seeds (pretty thinly) in a 3" pot which I then potted on as a whole into a larger pot when they'd become established. As I remember, lemon grass seeds are light almost fluffy things. May have had to thin out slightly when they got going but can't remember.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hallo all..I've just discovered you while looking for answers to how to grow lemongrass..I bought a packet of seed about 4 years ago (at least) and finally sowed it a month ago in a tray of vermiculite put in a basic windowsill propagator. It's all sprouted!! and the tiny seedlings are starting to get their proper grassy type first leaves. if I pot them all on I'm going to have to either get a bigger greenhouse with a heater or (probably) give them away. What's amazing is that even though they're so tiny each mini seedling tastes like proper grown-up lemongrass..Now to keep them alive and active until full-grown...

Comment

Coldupnorth - Stop eating the seedlings! Wait until they're all grown up!

I grew quite a lot from seed last year and sold them at the school fete. Have grown some more from seed this year but have also got two larger plants now, having taken advice from the folks here and stuck some grass from the supermarket into water until they grew roots.

Happy days.
                        Jools

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X