Mint in strawberry planter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint in strawberry planter

I've got a spare plastic strawberry planter and am thinking of using it for herbs. I read somewhere that if you put mint in the top it will find it's way to the other pockets (being an invasive plant). Is this correct? Would just mint in a strawberry planter be a waste?

Mint is as invasive as couch grass. If you want to keep it to itself, plant it in its own pot, or it will take over and dominate its neighbours
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh heavens, I thought you were thinking of planting the mint in with the strawberries!! Mint is totally invasive, so don't plant it with anything else. I have mine in two large pots on the patio. My daughter made the mistake of planting it in the border and it now grows up through the lawn and everywhere. Smells nice when you cut the lawn though. Seriously, though - the usual advice is to sink a really deep pot or dustbin (with the bottom cut out) into the ground and plant your mint into that.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you planted several types of mint in a strawberry planter? It might be an attractive and interesting way of keeping mint to itself, without being limited to one or two types for space reasons. Or might be a complete waste of time, lol!
        I was feeling part of the scenery
        I walked right out of the machinery
        My heart going boom boom boom
        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
        I've come to take you home."

Comment

not in a strawberry planter but i've had different types of mint in a container and it was fine so probably worth a try
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I grow my mint on it's own in a tub. Every year or two I repot and split it so that it rejuvenates itself and my friends get some free mint!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

So if I buy a mint plant and put it in the top will it eventually find it's way into the pockets lower down?

Comment

Yes it probably will but think of the practicalities - at some stage you'll need to open it up and thin it because it will just be a mass of roots and how will you get it all out with such a small neck and if it's terracotta, will the root ball burst the sides - seen it done with mint in clay pots.
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I have mint in a tub by the front door and its fine. Knowing how invasive it is, I wondered about planting it in the garden even in a tub, wouldnt the roots find their way out of the bottom?
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Mint is so invasive; it's ridiculous.

I got some different mint types last summer, and planted them around the garden in terracotta pots; and within a month there was mint growing 6 feet away in the raised beds. The raised beds were new last april/may, from a grass garden when we bought the house. It only takes a leaf to settle down on some soil for an hour and it roots...I love mint but it's quite a strong character.

Comment

hi i planted some mint into an ordinary plant tub and its started growing out the bottom holes!

Comment

I've just bought 6 really cheap black plastic buckets for the new herb bed for the mints and the French tarragon.
                        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

good idea i think i might try it in one of my spare ones

Comment

Does the mint escape out of the bucket through the drainage holes and into the rest of the bed? would it be better to keep the bucket out of the soil and on a patio ?
                            May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

Hi Helenclare

I think it can root and grow from just a minute piece of leaf/stem; which is why mine was found across the garden in a matter of weeks. Don't mind, as long as I keep an eye on things; just pull it out and put it in a pot and keep it off the actual beds or it will spread like wildfire. Or, take the leaves off and pop it in a teapot for some tea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X