Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thyme

Hi all.
    I don't know much about Herbs, but i want to grow some Thyme this year. Just for general culinary purposes. I don't want anything fancy like the Lemon or Pineapple or even Varigated forms. I just want the plain old boring type for throwing in stuff
    Any recomendations please
    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

For me personally, I'm too lazy to grow from seeds as you can so easily buy from DIY or GC for under £1.50. I think the GC will have a few selections of thyme and should also have the plain one. My first thyme, I just took a cutting and grew from that. Works a treat. Do you know anybody who's got the plain one in their garden?

Also I think they're hardy (evergreen??) so to buy the seeds is somewhat unnecessary, yes, no? Please someone rectify this fact if I'm wrong. BTW my last bought one (lemon variety) last spring or summer is still sitting there nicely in the garden .
    Food for Free

Comment

I will say dont bother to grow from seeds, buy the all plants and every 2 or 3 years take some cuttings and grow new plants from it...after a couples of years, plants tend to loose their scent and flavor, so to grow new ones...its a very hardy plant if on a nice warm spot, with a soil even poor and with easy drainage, some say the more harsh condition, the stronger the flavor...well maybe me, my Mediterranean gran' perhaps...

Comment

I've found thyme thrives on neglect!

I threw some seeds in a hanging basket that was sitting empty and then forgot all about it. Went back to get rid of the contents and pack away the basket for the winter, and found a thriving thyme plant. It's sat out there over winter and is still doing well.

Never watered, fed etc.
        Jenny

Life is a spreadsheet

Comment

Vegnut,

I saw lots of potted thyme in supermarket you can use these for planting... a lot easier and faster in comparison with seeds ( or even cutting). They will grow for years.
          The last time I have to dig out my old thyme bush was 2 years ago because they take over the herbs beds and spread like a giant mushroom (after 4 or 5 years growing in the same spot). Now I grow a small bush of Lemon thyme (which you don't like)....

Momol
          Last edited by momol; 22-01-2008, 06:56 PM.
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

yes it is ever green been using mine all year
            its in a large tub out side

Comment

Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas. I must admit to never seeing potted thyme in supermarkets, only the sprigs wrapped in plastic. Maybe it's only in Momol's neck of the woods. Unless someone has seen some over here, i would be interested to find which store. As for thriving on neglect, it sounds just my type of plant lol. You have all convinced me though, i won't try growing from seed.
              "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I have thyme in several locations in the garden - those closest to the house overwinter well and I use the leaves throughout winter, those a bit further away in the herb boxes less used because they get worse weather but they come back every year and grow away nicely.

All bought originally in small pots and planted out, much easier than seed.
                TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Vegnut - if you're still planning on a trip to Wilko, ours had some 'ordinary' thyme plants yesterday for £2.
                  I was feeling part of the scenery
                  I walked right out of the machinery
                  My heart going boom boom boom
                  "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                  I've come to take you home."

Comment

Thanks TonyF.
                    Thanks Seahorse for the info. I,m a long way down from you, but hopefully they may well have the same deals on.
                    Gonna try and get there over the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by vegnut View Post
                      Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas. I must admit to never seeing potted thyme in supermarkets, only the sprigs wrapped in plastic. Maybe it's only in Momol's neck of the woods. Unless someone has seen some over here, i would be interested to find which store. As for thriving on neglect, it sounds just my type of plant lol. You have all convinced me though, i won't try growing from seed.
                      Hi Vegnut,

You are very right it seems to be ONLY in my neck of wood thingy as potted herbs are sooooooooo common to be found in supermarket in the country where I live !

Momol
                      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X