No announcement yet.

Saffron bulbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have several pots full - lots of leaves, no saffron yet, but worthy of a go
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

I got mine free with a magazine subscription, just found some I didn't plant in the bag,which was in a small cardboard box along with plant labels etc. Noticed them because of the flower petals and some lovely saffron. No water, no soil,no care. !!!!

Comment

Wow lucky you was it a recent magazine subscription
        Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Took it out in the summer and bulbs delivered August

Comment

I'm growing them for the first time this year a friend bought me my bulbs from the garden centre, as I recall they were inexpensive...around £3 for 12 bulbs. There up and growing like mad at the moment...I'll pop them in the green house when the weather get's really bad.

Comment

Hello there

I'm new to all this. I have just planted 25 saffron bulbs into a pot to give to my parents at Christmas. I know it's all wrong, it's winter now, I shouldn't crowd them, that sort of thing, but I was going to give it a go anyway. Talking of which, should I put them in the light, in the warmth, in the dark, in the cold or what? Eh? Can anyone take pity on a novice and help me make the most of a bad job?

Comment

Hi and welcome, sounds like a great present to me. Where did you get the bulbs, I have been on the look out but no luck

Comment

Mine either came from dobies or jparkers. I think it was dobies, but I've spent so much money there this year that I've lost track. Bought them in the summer, just as we moved house, so that's why I'm so late to plant them. Today, I've also planted hyacinths for my father-in-law, amaryllises and brought my cymbidium orchids in from the cold. Fingers crossed all round! Still have to roll the new earth for grass seed in the spring, before the 450 daffodill bulbs underneath start to sprout though. Ground's a bit hard at the moment.
                  Last edited by mex; 26-11-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Yes I think I missed the time slot for buying them. Have to be on the look out next year. Sounds as if you are going to have a very pretty spring with all those bulbs.

Comment

I bought some from Dobies several months ago before moving house. Just found them in the roof and they have sprouted long thin pale shoots. Some what like potatoes do when in the dark for a long time. What do i do? I'm not sure if I should break them off or plant them and see how they go. Does anyone have the answer or a good suggestion? Thanks. J
                      BW
                      James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

Oops - I planted my saffron bulbs outside last autumn. Do you think I've killed them?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X