Saving parsley seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving parsley seeds

Has anybody done this and how easy is it? I've got a parsley in my herb garden and I've noticed it's bolting around the middle. I've purposely left this bit alone hoping to secure some seeds (but may be a long way off from getting seeds) so is this the right way, right time to do it. Also are parsley frost hardy? Thanks.
    Last edited by veg4681; 14-10-2007, 07:36 PM.
    Food for Free

I'm just collecting parsley seed from my old plants that have run to seed. They're just about turning brown and drop off easily into a paper bag for storing. I've done it in previous years and ended up with thousands of them. If they've not actually made seedheads yet it could be getting a bit late as frost won't do them much good. However if they've bolted anyway you might as well leave 'em and see what happens. Perhaps chuck a bit of fleece over them.
    I've also overwintered parsley but under a covering of fleece, still grew but obviously more slowly but I still had a goodly supply to use. I did have a good row of plants too.
    I'm going to try growing it between my asparagus next year as it's supposed to help deter asparagus beetle. Here's hoping!
    Good luck

Comment

Parsley is a biennial. Sow one year and harvest fresh leaves. Second year it makes one (or several) seed heads. Parsley is also a bit iffy to germinate, I've had more plants from seed heads I've missed which have seeded themselves than I've ever had from shop bought seeds. Well worth trying to save your own seeds, though. Good luck.

Comment

nothing to do with parsley seeds (sorry) just wondered if anyone has a niffty way of storing open seed packets in alphabetical order

Comment

Originally posted by diana View Post
          nothing to do with parsley seeds (sorry) just wondered if anyone has a niffty way of storing open seed packets in alphabetical order
          Don't know if there is a gadget for this. From the top of my head, just use a long box tall enough for an average seed packet and use cards as dividers. You might want to have a look at CD storage box too, easily tall enough for most seed packets.
          Food for Free

Comment

Thanks Patsy and Rustylady for the info. I checked out the Net if you could grow from cuttings but found nothing on it. Like you say, it's tricky growing from seed (3 weeks onwards just to germinate) so for the time being, I'll bring it indoor. Next year I'll try to extract the seeds as it'll be in its 2nd year. My decision based on following website, see link below (if anybody's interested in what to do with their parsley come fall).

http://www.gardenersclub.co.uk/growingherbs.asp

It says:
            "You can grow parsley in pots, but I prefer to bring in established plants from the garden at the end of the season. The older leaves will fall off, but the thick taproot will drive new growth from the center. However, parsley grown indoors from seed never reaches the size and productivity of plants dug from the garden. That's why I dig outdoor plants in fall and bring them inside. Keep the soil around the taproot intact, and be sure to use a pot that's deep enough to accommodate the root."
            Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X