French Tarragon

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Tarragon

I have had several attempts in the past at growing this as I love both the smell and taste. I have always managed to kill it (not sure how, probably differing methods. However today, while clearing out the pepper greenhouse, hiding right at the back of the border, I found a French Tarragon plant that I vaguely remember buying and planting out in Spring. I know that is what it is as I put a label in with it (wonders will never cease). It has obviously thrived on neglect because I haven't "cared" for it.
    It looks amazingly healthy. Should I just leave it? Trim it back? Tie it up? Will it lose it's leaves in Winter and regrow next year?
    I'm quite excited. If it gets bigger I should have some for the kitchen next year.
    Last edited by greenishfing; 10-11-2019, 03:05 PM.

I grow mine in a large pot as it is a bit like mint but not quite so invasive so you could dig it up now or wait until it starts shooting in the spring. The leaves will drop so you could trim it up before they do. I over winter mine in the tunnel. They seem to do best in poor soil and on the dry side.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Take some cuttings as a guarantee.

Comment

After trying with it so many times I find it hard to believe it can be a bully like mint...... I am delighted that it has survived so far.....despite me. However I will take all the advice on board: cuttings and maybe pot it up next year, but just worried I'll kill it (again). Will it grow outdoors happily in Northern England?

Comment

I have mine growing in a large container.
          It's in the greenhouse and I will be taking a few cuttings from it.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X