Nursery bought Coriander going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursery bought Coriander going downhill

I don't understand why a professionally nursery grown coriander plant should go all thin and wispy. Even the older supermarket bought ones potted on have done much much better. All in the same compost, same size pots but this one (advertised to attract bees) seems to be a perennial but (as with most of my shop bought plants) it gets smaller and smaller and no longer giving out lush green leaves. I did cut the flower head off a few weeks ago to stop it going to seed and try and encourage more leaf growth but now its all leggy

Is there anything I can do to get it going again, bearing in mind my garden gets no sun in the winter months ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_4335-001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2407622
    Last edited by Marb67; 13-09-2019, 01:28 PM.

Isn't coriander an annual herb...maybe it's getting ready for winter Marb?

Comment

So what would be the best bet to look after it over winter, plant outside in the salad bed ?

Comment

I would keep it in the greenhouse Marb

Comment

Pretty sure coriander is annual - i.e. it grows, flowers, seeds, dies... then the seeds germinate and the cycle starts again. Doubt you'll be able to keep it alive over Winter?
          He-Pep!

Comment

Get yourself some coriander seeds and couple of pots.
            Sow the seeds in the pots and put somewhere warm (windowsill?) to germinate. They'll be through in a week or so. Keep sowing more pots and stop wasting money on supermarket plants that aren't intended to keep growing for months.

I sowed some coriander in a pot 2 weeks ago and its growing its true leaves now.

Comment

I agree with VC. Seeds are much cheaper and I have kept Autumn sown coriander going all winter. It doesn’t like heat and will bolt quickly.
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Seeds are a no no for me because of the disastrous track record of seedlings not surviving, or even getting much bigger. Strange how the supermarket plants are doing much better than nursery.

Comment

You don't need coriander seedlings to get bigger - just grow lots and use them small. The flavour is more intense that way.
                  I hesitate to say that you can probably grow it from the big bags of coriander seed that you buy in the spice shops..............but I'm sure you can

EDIT - Yes you can! Read more at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1583198
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 14-09-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

My homegrown coriander plant on my windowsill is looking just like yours Marb.
                    In fact, it's also got whitefly on it too!
                    I'm going to cut it right back , rinse it under the outside tap ,and see what happens.
                    It'll be in the loving hands of a neighbour for the next couple of weeks and seeing as she's managed to kill off most of the plants I've left in her care before, I'm not expecting a miracle!!!
                    TBH...I should really compost it and start again from seed
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Coriander is the easiest plant to grow via seed. It was the first thing I grew from seed about 3 yrs ago when I started my Herb garden.

Essentially get a pot , some soil, toss seeds liberally , put some soil on the top , water and you will get coriander. Only annoying thing is the wait.

Happy Gardening

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        You don't need coriander seedlings to get bigger - just grow lots and use them small. The flavour is more intense that way.
                        I hesitate to say that you can probably grow it from the big bags of coriander seed that you buy in the spice shops..............but I'm sure you can

EDIT - Yes you can! Read more at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1583198
                        My neighbour grows it from the big bags and then digs it in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X