Visit to a herb nursery

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to a herb nursery

Had an interesting day visiting the UK's largest herb nursery today.

Apart from growing the herbs you buy ready cut in supermarkets they also produce potted herbs, i instantly thought of some of the problems user post on here.

Apparently one of the mistakes people make is watering, the head grower said never water from the bottom by putting them in a saucer...the trick is little and often.

Herbs are also haters of tap water and the ph is really important...they actually use nitric acid to raise the Ph.
    Rain water can also be too acidic.

Chive plants we buy are from seed but the ones we buy precut are from bulbs ( the bulbs are from Germany).To get the best from them they need cutting well and at least two thirds down.

Was well worth the visit.
    Mod with attitude!

That sounds really interesting, GL.
    Do they grow unusual herbs or just the supermarket types?
    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
    https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
    @realveggiechicken

Comment

No just the stuff you get in supermarkets
      Mod with attitude!

Comment

Interesting - I think maybe my water is an issue for herbs. Thank you for sharing
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
        • Penellype
          Reply to Potato plant wilting
          by Penellype
          Today, 08:34 PM
        • MrCake
          Maggots on asparagus
          by MrCake
          Hi!
          It’s my first time growing asparagus and I planted 12 crowns several weeks ago. 5 of them have sent up a healthy-looking spear each, which are now about 15cm/6” tall. Wondering why I’d seen nothing from the other crowns I carefully dug down to discover several white maggots...
          Today, 08:28 PM
        • Ivanhoe
          Reply to Birds and their nests 2019/20
          by Ivanhoe
          A picture of one of the Blue Tit's nesting in the nest box in my garden leaving to get more food for it's chick's.
          This year is the first time in 10+ year's this nest box has been used .
          Today, 08:24 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X