Anyone ever managed to overwinter...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever managed to overwinter...

...African Blue Basil (Ocimum kilimandscharicum × basilicum) or Mexican Marigold (Tagetes Lucida)? I buy them every year, but they never last (either in the house or in the greenhouse). Both are supposed to be perennial.

Come to think of it, Lippia Dulcis never survives either.

I have managed (so far) to successfully keep my Stevia Rebaudiana, though, this year, for the first time.

I occasionally manage to overwinter things without having a greenhouse,depends on the weather what survives. My English marigolds have survived,French marigolds never do,Mexican marigolds would want an even warmer temperature so that would be difficult. Some plants are perennial but grown as annuals in our country because it’s too cold here,unless you have heated greenhouses but I wouldn’t spend money heating a greenhouse,Ive got green sweet basil overwintered on my kitchen windowsill,that’s the only basil I’ve grown.

Comment

I tend to bring them in the house, but the lack of light means they start to fade. I tried the (cold) greenhouse but no luck.

It's probably a light issue rather than a temperature issue. Lemon grass and scented pelargoniums do fine in the house in the winter.

Comment

We had African blue basil for the first time last year and, as it was supposed to be perennial, I brought it into the house to overwinter - but it just faded away. Would try again though as is an excellent herb. Will try taing cuttings in summer may be to see if they fare better.

Comment

I took some cuttings of African blue basil in late August/September this year and they have nearly all rooted and doing fine on a windowsill. Should have plenty for giving away in spring. Will plant out late spring - and do the same again next year. We use lots of it in the kitchen and it is a very vigorous herb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X