No announcement yet.

Mint & its wandering ways

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mine in ground at allotment. It spreads a bit but is in the herb, misc small flowering shrubs area by my wildlife pond so I don’t mind too much. I just rip out the running stems which are just belower the surface of the soil under the woodchip and that seems to contain it enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
      I have both free range lemon balm and mint the lemon balm is much more established (read here it’s everywhere!)
      I do love crushing the leaves and smelling them!
      I bought a Lemon balm. Love the smell. Have it in the greenhouse for now but when I plant out do you find it likes full sun or a bit of shade?

Comment

Its happy anywhere.

Comment

Can confirm what VC says! I have lemon balm and mint free range in a thin bed under a hedge bordered on my side and my neighbours by paving slab paths. Neighbour and I both help ourselves when we fancy. I often cut both for flower vases in the house.
          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Mines: in shade as has spread under any shrubs, in parts of the garden it’s in full sun too doesn’t really seem bothered in partial shade either I can’t say I’ve fed it either!
            Glad I’m not the only one who lead crushes I think my friends thought I was mad when I said you have to smell this....
            Can you smell it in the house if it’s in vases?

Comment

A little bit, it's really just an excuse to have some inside to crush!
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I'm with VC. I'd love to have rampant mint (and where did my lemon balm go, now I think about it?!) but mine never seems to get that far established. I planted some out in the allotment, but I haven't seen it pop up yet.

Mum always had garden mint under the raspberries when I was a kid.

Since I have rampant docks, nettles etc etc, I'd much rather have something nice to pull up by the handful... ;-)

Comment

May be early days yet, 1 Bee. Some of the mints are just poking their little scented heads up.
                  I have a little jar of mint on the windowsill, almost permanently. As the cuttings root i plant them out and bring some more mint in to take its place. Today's mint is from the Greek island of Skopelos. Too "perfumey" for mint sauce but wonderful to stroke.

Comment

No idea what I’d tried to write there but I don’t crush stuff with lead!! Hahaha
                    Last edited by Chrissyteacup; 18-03-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Someone gave me some black peppermint and it's gorgeous as a tea... quite spicy minty.

Comment

I want a little mint collection, and I'd be quite happy even if I don't have a clue which variety is which. Oh god, I think I might be a mini-VC LOL
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've got lemon balm everywhere in the garden, but I quite like it.

For me, mint spreads a bit but isn't really a problem free-range. The only one that seems to survive everything you throw at it is spearmint and its variants, but its not too bad.

Comment

Noticed today that the apple mint has escaped its bed and into the path.
                            Made me really happy, even though I can't bring myself to walk on it.

Comment

Found another mint today, in Bed H. Don't know what it is but it is soooooooo Minty fresh - really cool and clean tasting - like toothpaste
                              Dark leaves, rounded tips, dark stem.
                              Wish I could remember what it was!!

Comment

haha VC, love it!
                                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X