No announcement yet.

Protecting herbs in winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a slight frost this morning (about 2c) and everything was still out. I brought my lemon grass in tonight. Will do the rest at the weekend.

Comment

I'm bunging a few supermarket pots of parsley into the ex-squash bed. It's covered with the black plastic stuff, so just seeing if they can survive there over winter. Everything else should be grand, salad burnet is my most tender I think, and that was fine last winter

Comment

I leave salad burnet outside in pots, never occurred to me to give it protection. Always seems fine the next spring.

Comment

Parsley plants always survived winters in Manchester with me.
          https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

Mint, thyme, oregano and rosemary always seem to survive outside with no help from me....
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

My rosemary is outside on my back doorstep. At the moment its covered in flowers.
              It's been growing for years with no help or protection in winter or summer.
              It's in a large terracotta pot.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

All my herbs do fine outside in pots, even last year with weeks of cold and snow. However I have just put my mint and oregano into my new cold greenhouse in the hope that I might get an early harvest if they are out of the worst of the weather. Nothing to lose, every thing to gain.

My rosemary can be harvested all year round regardless. Always amazes me how tough it is, considering it is a Mediterranean plant. Love it!
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X