Non flowering Cosmos

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non flowering Cosmos

My wife sowed some Cosmos direct in the soil from the packet that was given away in a magazine a few weeks ago. They have grown into really tall, lush healthy plants BUT not one flower has formed. I even nipped the tops out to get them to side shoot and put out more flowers but so far nothing. They have had some blackfly on but I keep removing them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180730_08_29_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	2406502
    Last edited by bario1; 30-07-2018, 08:34 AM.

I think you should be patient. It normally takes about 7 weeks from sowing Cosmo seeds to first flower. It is better to sow the seeds as soon as last frosts are gone as once your cosmos flower they will continue to do so till the first frosts of autumn knock them back. They will flower even more profusely if dead headed. Cosmos is a lovely plant and much loved by bees and butterflies.

Comment

My cosmos have only just started to flower Marb, you won't have long to wait.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Oh that's good news then. I will wait a bit longer thanks.

Comment

Patience! Removing the tops will have set them back a couple of weeks or so.

Comment

Yes, what Mitzi said! I nip out the tops of my dahlias - which does set them back but you are usually rewarded with more blooms an a sturdier bushy plant....you definitely need some patience. Despite the weather we still have lots of summer to go and they should flower right up to the end of September.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 30-07-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X