Propagating Flowers and Shrubs from cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propagating Flowers and Shrubs from cuttings

Shall we share our methods, tips, questions/answers about propagating Flowers and Shrubs from cuttings?

There's a companion thread for Herbs at
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ngs_97039.html

Have you taken any cuttings this week?

I'm not too good at his....I did a few penstemons in the autumn, but didn't plant many of them out into the garden. They are withered in the pit. Looking forward to some photos and tips.

Anyone take cuttings from dahlia tubers?
    Last edited by Scarlet; 20-06-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Like Scarlet looking forward to tips from others. I bought "grow your own garden" years ago but not had much success.

There is a lovely honeysuckle I am eyeing , it's overhanging the play park and needs a trim.
      Elsie

Comment

Oh crikey, most of the perennial shrubby types in my garden are grown from cuttings, gifted, liberated, or from one I have already.
        They include -
        Honeysuckle, from one in a hedgerow
        Rose "Mortimer Sackler" - I did buy the original two years ago, and when I cut out the bits growing in the wrong direction/place last autumn, they were shoved in the ground and I now have two sturdy little new rose plants
        Rose Zepherin Drouhin - this one must be close on 25 now
        Clematis "Ernest Markham" - another 25 year old timer
        Clematis Rosie O'Grady - a spring chicken at 10
        Fuchsia magellanica
        Winter honeysuckle
        Lavender and rosemary by the ton - should they be in the herb thread?
        Peonies
        Winter flowering viburnum (bodnantense?)
        Daphne - but that was killed by the very hard winter a few years back
        Wallflowers
        Also grown from cuttings but finally outed when they got too big - ceanothus, various junipers, eleagnus, euonymous, buddleia
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Most shrubby cuttings I strip the lower leaves, cut the stem to just below a joint, or else pull it off the parent plant leaving a 'heel', shove into JI number 1, water and put in a sealed poly bag till they root.

Stuff like lavender and rosemary that like dry conditions don't go in the poly bag, just in a shady dry place in the garden and watered occasionally.

Wallflowers seem to grow if I break a piece of woody-ish stem off and shove it in the ground. They'll also root in a pot if they are green cuttings.

The viburnum was just shoved in a tub with a few other bits and bobs.
          Last edited by mothhawk; 21-06-2018, 07:38 PM.
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Here's Ernest

Click image for larger version

Name:	clematis resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	2378898
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Honeysuckle - cutting taken 2016

Name:	honeysuckle resized.jpg
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2378899

viburnum - cutting taken 2016

Name:	viburnum resized.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	2378900

Zepherin Drouhin - she's behind a container grown apple and much happier here in the shade than for the 20 odd years I made her sit in full sun.

Name:	zepherin drouhin2.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2378901
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Mortimer Sackler

Name:	mortimer.jpg
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	2378902

and the cuttings

Name:	cuttings.jpg
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	2378903

Goodness! I did not see that sow thistle at all till I saw it in this picture! This is my mix-it-and-chuck-it veg patch.
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks MH Inspirational photos. I must take some Zephyrine Drouhin cuttings soon.
                  Like you, most of my shrubs have been grown from cuttings scrounged in some way.
                  I have 2 methods - either stick the cuttings in a jar/bucket of water and wait for them to root; or poke them in a pot of compost if small or directly into the spot where I want them to grow, if bigger.

I've grown a camellia and fig hedge that way. Which reminds me, I must take some more camellia cuttings - from the single petalled one that flowers before Chr******. It always brightens up a winter day and, if it warm enough, the bees come to forage.

My plan, (at the moment ) is to take cuttings of something every day.

Comment

I think the main thing is not to be too precious about it. I put four or five cuttings to a 3" pot but I'm never really bothered if they grow or not, it's just a nice bonus if they do, so I don't fuss over them, and tend to forget about them and leave them to get on with it. Then it's a nice surprise if they do grow.

I had a shrub for years that we called the grange-over, it had pretty flowers and I "found" the cutting in Grange-over-Sands. I finally identified it as an escallonia.
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Cuttings of the Day - Wallflowers.
                      Had to dead head the plants so saved the new green shoots to turn into cuttings. In water at the moment, tomorrow they'll be in a pot.

Comment

Early this year I accidentally knocked off a stem from an aubretia. I then pulled the lower leaves off and stuck it in a small pot of compost in the greenhouse. I was sure it wouldn't survive as it got frozen solid and looked very limp but then I saw new growth and it's done amazingly well. I kept pinching out the flowers to encourage root growth but it became more and more determined to produce flowers I eventually gave in a let it flower. It's now in the ground and puting up new growth from the base.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X