Dahlias

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're "Due to be delivered today"
    Anyway like to pop round for a dahlia/gladi planting party?

Comment

Oh, that is exciting VC! A few bags of composts and use your compost bins and it shouldn't take long. .....I'm jealous!
      What varieties have you got?

Comment

I may have to get some more

Comment

They've arrived

This what half the unnamed dahlias look like!! Haven't unpacked the other box yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9945.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	2379840

4 giant amaryllis/hippeastrum

Name:	DSCF9946.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	2379842

800 named gladioli.

Name:	DSCF9947.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2379843

Comment

Are everyone elses' flowering? I started mine in the greenhouse (they got destroyed by slugs last year), I've got tow in the ground, and they are a bit spindly, but look OK. No flowers yet. Any thoughts?

Comment

Mine only started flowering last week, so yours should be along soon

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                They've arrived
                You are going to be very very busy for a while m'thinks

Give the dahlias tubers a soak, for a couple of hours before potting - any that don't feel plump after that will likely already be dead. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Thelma.
                  All dahlias are soaking - in buckets, trays and the dog's bed! Its big, shallow and doesn't have drainage holes. Don't worry, they have other beds.
                  At least 80% had living shoots and look healthy. Some are very plump. They'll have a few hours to drink as I have to go out this afternoon. It'll give me time to think about what to do next too.

The glads are 8 varieties - 100 of each.:-
                  Performer,
                  Red Balance,
                  Fiorentina
                  Traderhorn
                  Purple Flora
                  Espresso
                  Jester
                  Red.
                  All look firm and raring to grow.

(I need another )

Comment

You definitely got a bargain there VC. I bought some dahlia seed this year and now have over 100 plants about 1' high in 3 large containers - I'm going to have to clear some ground next year from my wilderness to plant them in - absolutely no non-weed infested space left now.

Comment

VC if you can find space for them in the garden plant them 6 to 8 inches deep and there won't be the same need to dig them up for storing over winter I note that pots have been recommended MOBs are ideal for them but if you have a large plastic or wooden box you can plant more in less space and when they flower you can pick what you definitely want to keep and eat the rest but you must remember that if you want to grow for show they can be a lot of work, or you can do as I do just plant them and let the do their own thing
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

And the has a great bargain, wish I had seen it earlier
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Have you checked if they're still available, rary?

Or are you hoping I'll send you some.

EDIT _I've checked and they're still on offer . Go on, you know you want to
                          Keep this nutty chicken company.........................please?

https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/s...mega-box-16326

PS - I've just ordered these too https://www.jerseyplantsdirect.com/M...eid=04aebe19b9
                          Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-08-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

^^^^^^Will you STOP THAT you got me to buying some plants last year, so don't do it again, now I need to find room for 50 dahlias and 400 gladioli where will I put them

Comment

You only bought one pack!! Didn't you notice how much cheaper they were if you bought 2.
                              I've "planted" about half of the dahlias. I have lots of pots/troughs of dead geraniums so I've spread the dahlias out on the compost and covered them over with more old compost. I can move these into the GH to overwinter.
                              I'm telling myself that if 20 survive they will still be good value!

Comment

I don't have room for one pack let alone two, need to try squeezing them in somewhere

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X