Recently bought Hollyhock going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    Well I did think of potting it on but as the roots haven't even found anywhere near the inside of the pot I thought a bigger pot would only make matters worse. They say potting plants that haven't filled their pot into much bigger pots inhibits growth (tomatoes for example) but this may not apply to certain plants.
    I agree with the previous advice, plant it out in the final position you want it in your garden. (I wouldn't try growing it in a container, unless its an absolutely humongous one). Don't like the sound of the lack of roots much - whether its pests or disease its impossible to be sure. On the other hand the top of the plant looks healthy, so as long as it can be kept growing, I reckon there's a good chance it will resurrect itself.

Comment

As I have no space for it in the garden I planted it in a long tom pot with fresh compost. Suffice to say it's still weedy and seems to be getting smaller.
      Last edited by Marb67; 26-06-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Mine thrive south facing and all self seeded in the gravel pathways:

Never fed and badly neglected apart from being tied up when they start falling over.
        Maybe your compost is too rich? Just a guess....
        The leaves are being eaten....How are the roots?

Sorry-I'm rubbish with most flowers....survival of the fittest for me!
        I'm beginning to think I should just sprinkle seeds onto the gravel and once they come up (if they do!) move them to their allocated space
        Last edited by Nicos; 26-06-2018, 08:54 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Mine thrive south facing and all self seeded in the gravel pathways:

Never fed and badly neglected apart from being tied up when they start falling over.
          Maybe your compost is too rich? Just a guess....
          The leaves are being eaten....How are the roots?

Sorry-I'm rubbish with most flowers....survival of the fittest for me!
          I'm beginning to think I should just sprinkle seeds onto the gravel and once they come up (if they do!) move them to their allocated space
          I remember reading an anecdote about someone who wanted to grow some flower plants from seed (possibly lavender). Anyway they carefully cultivated a plot - breaking it down to a fine tilth, watering it in readiness for the seed, sowing when the soil was warm etc. Then after waiting for the due time it became clear that the only seeds which had germinated successfully were ones which had drifted on to patch of dry gravel over concrete surrounding a drain cover nearby.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X