Geranium Cuttings for Dummies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sindy View Post
    hello all, i was looking for a posting for taking cuttings for geraniums, i dont want to sound silly, i know nothing about gardening but trying hard to learn, it says cut a flowering stem by a leafjoint
    I'll have a go. Cut a stem off; cut off flower. Now cut immediately below where the leaves join the stem. Remove all leaves except top 2 (ish). Wilt the cutting for a day (geraniums need it). Then pot up in multi-purpose compost, keep damp not wet in the light but not hot.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Good explanation Two Sheds. However, I do think we have to be sure whether we are talking about geraniums or pelargoniums. Pelargoniums are the big flashy flowering jobs that are sold for bedding and pots (commonly known as geraniums). They respond really well to drying out for a day or two before potting up. True geraniums have softer growth, subtler colours and can be increased by cuttings or division of established plants.

Comment

My cuttings taken on Monday - in greenhouse all week.. look to have rooted.
        thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Or in pictures .....

Dotted lines are where you cut
          Attached Files
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

thank you everyone especially nick helped alot, i will post a pic later xx

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              ....be sure whether we are talking about geraniums or pelargoniums. Pelargoniums are the big flashy flowering jobs that are sold for bedding and pots (commonly known as geraniums).
              yes, quite right Rusty. I assume people mean the flashy flowery ones ...
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks

Just come across this site. Thank you for the good advice, will be trying it out today!

Comment

Originally posted by Devonred View Post
                  Just come across this site. Thank you for the good advice, will be trying it out today!
                  Where you bin all these years DevonRed Good look with your cuttings. Out of interest I lost my two original stock plants ( they were about 6 yrs old and with in 10" pots) but I found two cuttings that had got pushed to the back of the shelf (high up so I couldn't see them) and they were in 2" pots bone dry and had 2 leaves on them!! So I thought nowt to loose and potted them in 5"pots gave them a good watering and they are now about 8" tall and I reckon I can sneak 2 cuttings out of them so my geraniums live on so they will take a bit of neglect !!
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

This thread has been SO helpful to me as a keen beginner, thank you everyone who's contributed and fingers crossed my cuttings will take!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X