Iris going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iris going downhill

Well I have taken heed of soil conditions for this “little black belt” plant and yet it seems to be pathetic. The base of the plant is spongy and the leaves look eaten.

I have planted in gritty compost mixed with loam and plenty of stones for drainage. Exposed the base of the plant to sun and it’s in the sunniest part of the garden but it’s just getting smaller and smaller.

Can’t post a jpeg from my ipad becuase this site throws it back as an upload fail. No idea why.
    Last edited by Marb67; 28-04-2018, 04:15 PM.

Is it a bearded iris that has got the problems you describe ?

Comment

No it's a "little black belt" small iris that is purple.

Comment

right - not one I'm familiar with - sorry - hopefully someone who does know the type will be along.

Comment

A quick gurgle says that Little Black Belt is a dwarf bearded iris, so they like a dry, sunny spot. I've never tried them in a pot but this site says they don't do well in containers because they have a large root system: https://www.countryliving.com/uk/hom...earded-irises/
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            Is it a bearded iris that has got the problems you describe ?
            Goggle says its a Dwarf Bearded Iris - looks lovely. Sorry its not thriving, Marb. can't help with advice, sorry, as the only iris I can grow are the wild yellow flag iris!!
            With your photo, it may be a size issue - too big for the vine. If you crop it or resize it, it should load.

Comment

I don't know much about them but know some people over feed with nitrogen based fertilisers which is detrimental to them.

After frosts I believe they are prone to be attacked by boring maggots with no cure. Normally if they get a minimum of 6 hours sunlight a day they are fine

Comment

Irises do have massive root systems, but they dontcreally suffer as much as they should from being crowded in my experience.
                I'd drag it out of the pot and check the roots. It sounds more like a bug munching on the roots. Good luck!
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why wont the site allow me to upload a normal jpeg ? It isn’t too large or small?
                  Last edited by Marb67; 29-04-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

No problems as far as we know Marb if it is less than 2Mb it should upload

Test photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	26cbac-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	2377519

Comment

Nope, tried again with “ upload of file failed”

Comment

Admin advice from https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1586015

I believe the issue may be the pixel height and width of the image. We have a maximum height of 1024 pixels and width of 1024 pixels.

and

The issue with those two is the file size of the images. The first image sent was just slightly over the 2MB limit at 2.02MB and when cropped the file was 1.9MB.

In this case, I'd suggest using an image compressor such as https://tinypng.com/, which reduces file size without affecting quality in a significant way. That way you will not need to crop the image in order to post.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1586020

Comment

Well it just gets smaller and smaller. A bit eaten by slugs but despite growing in full sun with the roots exposed (a bit like ginger) it is another moribund specimen.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Iris.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	2378471
                          Last edited by Marb67; 28-05-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

They don’t like growing in containers. They need to be planted into the ground.

Comment

Ok, it's just a case of finding room. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X