self propogated flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self propogated flowers

I noticed as I was walking back through the garden today that the cowslips, of which I have about 50 plants on the bank near my apple trees, are just coming in to flower. These have all self-seeded from a single plant I bought at a jumble sale about 25 years ago. Apart from the odd bit of weed control when nettles or whatever were invading and the occasional transplant to move one to a more convenient place I have done nothing to help these flowers .

It set me thinking on how many plants I have which spread and mostly look after themselves - it includes lysimacha punctata , snowdrops, daffodils, hardy geraniums, wood anemone, lily of the valley, native violets, teasels and probably a fair few more.

I daresay the dilatory nature of my gardening activities, being too mean to spend much money on flowers and that I have been here for 35+ years have all contributed to this outcome.

Anyway I'm grateful to have Nature as a "gardening assistant" to nurture and spread so many flowers around me.

Happy gardening :-)

Primroses grow like weeds here. Get the odd interesting colour break.

Oregano everywhere, colour varies. Cyclamen Hederifolium, Hellebores and Hollyhocks plentiful.

Birds sow Leycesteria Formosa everywhere!
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

sounds v pretty - I've got all of those on a small scale except the Hollyhocks, which though I have grown them, don't seem to spread on their own.

Comment

I lurve the self seeders - and I'm trying it with veggies too https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...dea_90008.html
        My favourites are the little crocus that pop up in the grass in early spring and the snowdrops that are spreading nearby. I'm sure I didn't plant the crocus.
        Many of the plants here have been grown from cuttings I've scrounged from friends' gardens and still, in my mind, are named after them, even though most of the donors are no longer with us.
        Muriel's Day lilies have been split and replanted many times since the original clump was dug up, Ethne's fuchsias, Andrew's apple tree, Bev's Stella cherry, Michelle's Babington leeks and so on. They're all so much more gratifying than "bought" plants.

Comment

VC what are Babington leeks I have never heard of them?
          Last edited by rary; 13-04-2018, 03:13 PM.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

They're perennial leeks, rary.
            Read more about them at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...eks_92976.html

I planted out a few more yesterday in the front of Bed 12L.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9430.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2377239

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X