Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttings from old rose bushes

In enemy territory again.

We have some old rose bushes that came with the house some 30 years ago.
    One has masses of medium red flowers but no scent.
    Another is a large yellow one with excellent scent.
    They are starting to show their age, bit like their keeper!

Is it possible to take cuttings?
    Would they have been grafted?
    They have grass around them, is that detremental?

Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Almost certainly grafted.

The grass competes for food with the bushes, whether this is a problem can be gauged by the way the bushes are growing.

You can and I have taken cuttings from roses. Chop off some pieces of last year's growth about 8 " long and bury the bottom 3" in the ground. Pick a place which is free of weeds, has some light but not too much direct sun eg the north side of a shed, but where the soil stays moist - leave them there for at least a year.

Comment

I’ve taken cuttings that way too. Usually do it in the autumn. I have about 10 in at the moment, don’t know what I will do with them!!!
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

oooh, I'm curious as to this.

re last year's growth - just to clarify, do you mean
        now using 2017 sprouts, or in autumn using 2017 sprouts? (ie 1 or two seasons' growth)

Comment

The autumn or winter of the year in question - I don't think the exact timing is too critical as long as the plant is dormant.

Be aware that you may get much stronger growth this way, as one reason for grafting is that nurseries can predict how big roughly the bushes will get.

Comment

so if I want to try this year (2018), I should take cuttings of bits that started growing in 2018?

sorry, just want to clarify, I am determined to get some rose cuttings going, I've not managed before

(ditto wisteria)

Comment

No problem, always best to get things clear as possible - If you wanted to try it now, take cuttings from last year's growth, if you want to try it this Autumn, wait until the leaves are off, then take the cuttings from this year's growth.

Budding and or grafting are other options of course, if you have a suitable root-stock or indeed a rose of a variety you don't like.

For bendy things like ramblers layering is a simple way of reproduction. Just take a long shoot, bend it to the ground and either pin it down or put a large stone on it. A bit of judicious damage to the bark where the stem touches the ground is a help, if you don't over-do it. As with all these things the soil needs to stay moist, so if its in a dry area a bit of plastic sheet is a good idea.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                Anywhere you can buy root stock for grafting?
                Jimmy
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Quite a few of the pound shops and similar have roses in at the moment. Probably easiest to buy a couple of these if you only want a few, then you can graft or bud them over to varieties you want.

Be wary that sometimes, if they've been on the shelf for a week or more, these plants are often on their last legs - so need "invalid treatment" until they start growing again.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                    so if I want to try this year (2018), I should take cuttings of bits that started growing in 2018?

sorry, just want to clarify, I am determined to get some rose cuttings going, I've not managed before

(ditto wisteria)
                    You need to take the cuttings of half ripe unflowered stems in about late October early November. Wisteria is best taken from layers, it takes a long time to root. I sink a pot in the ground and then bend a long stem down to the pot ans hill it there with either a metal peg or a brick and then leave it for at least two years before severing it from the mother plant.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post

(ditto wisteria)
                      Take half ripe cuttings of unflowered rose stems in late October/ early November. Wisteria is best taken from layers. I sink a pot in the ground and bend a long stem down and anchor it with a metal peg or a brick. It tales a long time to root so leave it for at least two years before severing it from the mother plant.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X