No announcement yet.

Plant identification

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recognized them from my garden. One of my favourites - come in all colours and shapes and self seed and cross freely..

Comment

Please can I join in? I got some elderly Icelandic poppy seeds at a plant swap earlier in the year, and chucked them about the place. Now about a million assorted weeds are growing where I put them, and I don't know which (if any) are the poppies.

Is there any hope this might be a poppy?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 21.58.44.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	2378279

Thank you for your help.

Comment

You're quite welcome to join. (You can always start a new thread if you find you don't get your answer here.)

As you can tell by the fact that I'm the one usually asking for help I'm not an expert. But an online search seems to suggest to me that your photo could well be of a poppy.

https://www.backyardgardener.com/gar...nting-flowers/

Papaver nudicaule - Plantinfo - EVERYTHING and ANYTHING about plants in SA

Comment

Originally posted by Mistlepie View Post
          Please can I join in? I got some elderly Icelandic poppy seeds at a plant swap earlier in the year, and chucked them about the place. Now about a million assorted weeds are growing where I put them, and I don't know which (if any) are the poppies.

Is there any hope this might be a poppy?

Thank you for your help.
          Yes, that's one; definitely looks like a poppy. I may be wrong but I think Icelandic poppies are biennial so probably won't flower until next year. Gorgeous when they do, though.

Comment

Biennial? Noooooo

Ah well. Thanks for identifying them.

Comment

Just a quick update for those who helped me out.

I tried to include the photos to update, but apparently they don't come with the quoted message and I can't locate them at the moment. These were the images in the first post

1. Silvery white foliage, about 10 inches or 25 cm tall - Globe artichoke. One small artichoke at the top of the now 5-ft tall plant.
              2. Little purple/green heads, growing only an inch or so off the ground - Aquilegia
              3. Impossible to see or distinguish sticks with little seed heads, about 5 feet or 150 cm tall. I realize this is an utter longshot - Not flowering yet, but my neighbor (former plot holder) tells me it's a perennial sunflower.
              4. Little pink flowers, about 6 inches or 15 cm tall. Looks like a weed based on where it's growing. I don't mind it but will tear it out if it'll spread or cause a problem before I get around to digging that area in the summer. - Identified early on as cardamine
              5. Green leaves, about 6 inches or 15 cm tall. I thought it might be geraniums as there were many with pink flowers last year, but can't tell. - Not as expected. Gone now, but a round pink flower with a long, thin protrusion.

I will try to link the others up with their images. Sorry!
              Last edited by jonahjonah; 12-07-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I think these were all positively ID'd
                Spurge

Name:	IMG_20180402_173737441.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2377052

Lily (didn't like being shaded/crowded out by the spurge and didn't make it)

Name:	IMG_20180402_173804869.jpg
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	2377053

Day lily, I believe

Name:	IMG_20180402_173906332.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	2377054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180402_173919093.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	2377055

Spurge

Name:	IMG_20180402_173934361.jpg
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	2377056
                Last edited by jonahjonah; 12-07-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

This one I have an updated photo for

Before

Name:	IMG_20180405_152055905.jpg
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	2377092

After

Name:	IMG_20180701_120140488.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2379305

Comment

Originally posted by jonahjonah View Post
                    Just a quick update for those who helped me out.

I tried to include the photos to update, but apparently they don't come with the quoted message and I can't locate them at the moment. These were the images in the first post

1. Silvery white foliage, about 10 inches or 25 cm tall - Globe artichoke. One small artichoke at the top of the now 5-ft tall plant.
                    2. Little purple/green heads, growing only an inch or so off the ground - Aquilegia
                    3. Impossible to see or distinguish sticks with little seed heads, about 5 feet or 150 cm tall. I realize this is an utter longshot - Not flowering yet, but my neighbor (former plot holder) tells me it's a perennial sunflower.
                    4. Little pink flowers, about 6 inches or 15 cm tall. Looks like a weed based on where it's growing. I don't mind it but will tear it out if it'll spread or cause a problem before I get around to digging that area in the summer. - Identified early on as cardamine
                    5. Green leaves, about 6 inches or 15 cm tall. I thought it might be geraniums as there were many with pink flowers last year, but can't tell. - Not as expected. Gone now, but a round pink flower with a long, thin protrusion.

I will try to link the others up with their images. Sorry!
                    1: Could be Cardoon - looks like globe artichokes
                    3 Perennial Sunflower - isn't that what a jerusalem artichoke is

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I'll keep a lookout for the difference between cardoon and globe artichoke. The previous tenant was much more into decorative than edible plants.

I think Jerusalem artichoke is a perennial sunflower, but not all perennial sunflowers are JAs. As above, he was more into low-maintenance decoratives and didn't mention that it was edible. I had a look for the telltale roots and didn't see anything that looked like JA to me. then, I am a rank amateur Whatever it is, it's another prolific spreader.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X