Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Easy) perennial flowers suitable for a cool, shady valley?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Easy) perennial flowers suitable for a cool, shady valley?

Hi all

As above, really! I live in a shady, cold, moist Welsh valley near Chepstow, and would like to brighten up my garden with some interesting flowers / shrubs etc. If they're minimal effort perennials, so much the better. A couple of roses have managed to survive, and I've got a couple of cold hardy (allegedly) lavender plants in. I got some plug plants from T&M, but they don't appear to have faired well. I've also got some mixed wild flower seed which I was thinking of trying when things warm up a bit, but can anyone suggest anything else I can plant and basically leave to it? Pretty shrubs are totally fine, it doesn't have to be flowers - but some colour and interest for as much of the year as possible would be good. The garden does get some sun in parts, but not from October to March really... And it was ~-10C for a week or two the winter before last!

Thank you for any thoughts.
    Last edited by sandspider; 16-02-2018, 10:48 AM.

Have a look at https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=928

I can vouch for sarcococca--very strong scent now.

Also Loncera Winter Beauty. All leaves dropped so all flowers really stand out. Loads of bees on it now.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Thanks Danny, that's a useful page, with some nice hardy looking plants, and useful to have the personal experience!

Comment

Lilly of the valley - get some roots from a friendly neighbour as it grows more easily if never allowed to dry out, hellebores, bulbs of course, honeysuckle and clematis to grow up stuff :-)

Comment

Thanks Nick

We have young children, so might have to hold off on lily of the valley for a while! Will look into the others, cheers. Nicely scented plants is a bonus too.

Comment

You worried about berries on lily of valley? If so forget sarcococca as it has loads of berries.

Considering how many poisonous berries and plants there are there seems to be a singular lack of fatalities.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Sandspider, I'm amazed at your weather. Thought everywhere in Sunshiny South Wales was sunshiny.
              Camellias thrive here. I have some on the west side of the house, in shade all day in the winter, but they're in flower from December and still going strong.
              They're great plants. evergreen shiny leaves, come in various shades of white/pink/red and the bees and birds love them.
              I like them so much I'm growing a camellia hedge, mostly from cuttings. Its far more interesting than laurel or privet.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                You worried about berries on lily of valley? If so forget sarcococca as it has loads of berries.

Considering how many poisonous berries and plants there are there seems to be a singular lack of fatalities.
                True. But L of the V is commonly listed as toxic, where as sarcococca is not, as far as I can see anyway. Probably be fine with a bit of common sense, and L of the V is pretty.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Sandspider, I'm amazed at your weather. Thought everywhere in Sunshiny South Wales was sunshiny.
                Camellias thrive here. I have some on the west side of the house, in shade all day in the winter, but they're in flower from December and still going strong.
                They're great plants. evergreen shiny leaves, come in various shades of white/pink/red and the bees and birds love them.
                I like them so much I'm growing a camellia hedge, mostly from cuttings. Its far more interesting than laurel or privet.
                Alas, yes! When sunny it's lovely, but from October to March ish we get very little sun at all, we're at the bottom of a valley surrounded by trees. Will look at camellias too, thanks, and have stumbled across some pretty little periwinkles while grazing the RHS site... Plenty of choice anyway.

Next question is where to purchase from? I've had plugs from T&M and wouldn't want to use them again really. The RHS shop seems a bit pricey, but do have a good range. Is there anywhere else i should consider? (I'm in touch with my local garden centre, but they don't seem to stock many of the things I'm after...)

Cheers.

Comment

Try eBay for some stuff which can be hard to find locally - also worth keeping an eye on the supermarkets like Morrison's, they often have clematis for abut £2 and some of them are scented.

As always cadging cuttings and divisions from neighbors and friends is probably the cheapest option.

Comment

Do you have many neighbours? If you're not sure what will grow well having a look over neighbours walls and see what you fancy. While you're there as you're in friendly Wales mention to the neighbours what you're looking for and get good at taking cuttings. Many people I'm sure will allow you to have some cuttings or layerings or offsets, especially people with mature gardens who are probably digging out some off sets and seedlings to keep the garden looking how they like it. Also these plants will cost you a beer or an occasional bottle of wine if you're feeling generous.

Comment

I do have neighbours, but none of them grow much besides grass. Will keep my eyes open on eBay etc. and while strolling in my local area. Are there any other recommended suppliers?

Thank you.

Comment

Another way possible, if you have more patience than money, is to grow things from seeds . I've done a few shrubs and trees this way.

Comment

I've grown trees and things from seed previously, and while satisfying, it's not quick! I'd rather pay a bit more and get an actual plant I think!

Comment

sounds like a tour of the garden centers is on the cards - I remember one near Chepstow which seemed fair on the price front - about 2 miles out on the Caldicot side, if memory serves.

Comment

That's the one I'm in touch with now, but they don't seem to have that many plants (lots of garden features, fences, compost etc.) and I'm looking for quite specific variants anyway... Will try some others. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X