Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for trailing wall covering plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A seller recommended cartmanii Fragrant Oberon to me too, but at H4 I'm not sure if the're just trying to sell or if I can go with it..looks great though. My gut feeling is periwinkle is the safest of these perhaps.

Comment

Hi Kroton and welcome.

Forgive me my bias as I am NOT a fan of ivy (I'm currently trying to rescue my garden back from next doors overgrown ivy 'wall') but I think the ivy would be unfair for your neighbours above, it would very quickly start growing into their balcony - and over the long term could start to affect the structural integrity.

There are lots of alternative options which are less invasive and destructive.

Again I'm veg biased - but I'd use it to grow peas up in summer - there is NOTHING in the world better than freshly picked peas

p.s. your balcony is beautiful!

Comment

I planted aubretia in my garden last year and they're now flowering beautifully. I've got them at the top of a low-lying wall and hope they will eventually cascade over the top. I frequently see them growing out of stone walls and not sure how they manage to get there!

I also like the look of 'snow in summer' and trailing nepeta. If I see them in the shops I will be buying them too.

Comment

I wouldn't choose ivy,it can root into a tiny crack in the brickwork & cause problems & strangle & smother everything else you're growing.

Comment

Hi everyone just back in from work thanks for the replies!!! My wife also hates ivy, so I guess I'm outvoted...I love those mansions in movies overrun by ivy but perhaps better admired through the tv I'll look at the trailing nepeta! One of the sellers I've emailed grows his clematis outdoors and can vouch for their hardiness, so perhaps another option? Any northerners tried growing any of the others I mentioned? ( periwinkle, heucherella, clematis and Viola Volantes). Or is there a general consensus they should be OK? I really appreciate everyone's help, I feel closer to finding something! I'm gonna go repot everything I already have in 50L pots just now...while my wife prepares the straightjacket

Comment

Periwinkle and several varieties of calmatis grow well up here. The other two things might but I don't know what they are . Honeysuckle does well, if that's an option.

Comment

Thank you Smallpumpkin!!!! Really appreciate the advice. If anyone can shed iight on the heucherellas (not direct sunlight though :P) I'm all ears like my Dragon Alocasia. Might get them ordered bu tomorrow so excited!

Comment

A low growing clematis would be fine along with periwinkle, you could also try sulphur heart ivy in a pot where you can control the growth, if your wife is not happy with that tell her who the boss is, tho if she is like every woman I know she will know who's boss so just grovel
                  By the way is that Glasgow green you are overlooking
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Hi again everyone,

too many double shifts all week so back at it now! I'm gonna try and see local nurseries in case it matters where they are grown, and hopefully get a mixture of periwinkle, clematis and honeysuckle! I think Heucherellas won't droop that low sadly, which is a shame as the colours and foliage are ideal to me. But still very happy if the above work, I'll hopefully get to a couple of local places tomorrow and set everything in motion and update! And Rary, it is indeed!

Comment

Do you think plastic pots are OK? I was advised by a clematis seller against them but already have gone and bought and put up 27!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X