No announcement yet.

What've I Done Wrong......??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always had trouble with Astilbes. If they dry out just once, the leaves shrivel and they turn up their toes.

Then I put them at the top of my bog garden, with the crowns six inches above the water level so that their roots always had moisture to go down into. Then they were brilliant and stayed healthy from spring till winter.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Whaddya reckon then, Martin ......... keep watering everyday ......??? Or call it a day ..........?

It's in half shade, half sun which was what it said on the label .......
      Should I leave the dead flowers on it or remove them, please?

Do you think it'll make a come-back? ....
      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

The plant doesn't look bad at all, from the pictures. It's end of season for the flowers, so cut them off when they look too unsightly. If you keep the plant moist - mulch will help - it will be fine. The foliage dies back to the ground in the winter, then next year the plant will be bigger with more flowers!
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
          --------yup, good point ......... but no-one would want to buy a half-looking-dead plant though ...... o
          I do! I just bought several big potted plants from W@itrose, the flowers have all died and the plants look miserable. they will be lovely next year at less than the quarter of the price....not rubbing it in at all

Comment

Can you tell if all the 'green stuff' that has grown up after the rain at the weekend, all around poor, crispy Astilbe, is all weeds .......

Don't know if you can tell from the pictures ............

Thanks!
            Attached Files
            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

The one on the left looks like a sow thistle - on the right, teasel.

Comment

Ta, VC ....... Pull up the sow thistle and let the teasel develop....?
                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Pulled up the sow thistle (.... for now...!) and left these in ..... (they look like weeds to me...!!! ) :
                  Attached Files
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I still think they're teasels! I grow them for the birds. If they're in the wrong place, dig them up and replant or bin them. Your choice
                    Teasel (Wild) - Wild Flower Finder

Comment

I'd bin them or stick in a wilder area of the garden - they do tend to spread if left to it. As VC says birds love them, & I have a few for that but control numbers!
                      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I still think they're teasels! I grow them for the birds. If they're in the wrong place, dig them up and replant or bin them. Your choice
                        Teasel (Wild) - Wild Flower Finder
                        Know what, VC? I'm going to leave them in and see how they progress - I looked at some piccies and they look quite majestic when they're fully grown and if the birdies are partial, even better...!! If I get tired of them where they are, then, as you say I could dig 'em up and move them elsewhere..!
                        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
                          I'd bin them or stick in a wilder area of the garden - they do tend to spread if left to it. As VC says birds love them, & I have a few for that but control numbers!
                          Soz HH - missed your post ------- I'll defo keep an eye on them and 'thin' them out a bit if they're taking over ......... It'll be good ground cover anyway, until I can get around to doing anything else with that bit of border .!!!
                          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Teasels fascinate me from all sorts of angles!
                            There's a little "cup" where the leaf joins the stem, which fills with water to attract insects in need of a drink. The insects fall in and drown and the plant absorbs this "liquid fertiliser". Cunning!
                            I like their use in history too, for "teasing" fibres in the old woollen mills. Plenty on Goggle is you're curious1

Comment

Susie I would take that Astilbe back as I would expect some thing better for my £12.99 and let them know you are not happy with the instructions that came along with the plant as you followed them and ended up with very poor plant
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

........of course you're right, rary (I'm not confident I still have the receipt though .......)
                                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X