Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing 2 flower beds

Hi Guys

Well the rain scuppered my plans to re-turf the garden today. But yesterday I managed to create 2 new raised/platform beds. They are 60cm x 1.5m (2ftx5ftish). The beds are the other side of a railing at the end of our decking. I am trying to think what to plant here. Obviously if it where up to me it's be courgettes, potatoes, etc.

So what can go in here? I am leaning towards grasses as they will grow up and make a good bac**round to the railing (especially if I can get some lights shining up through them). I bought some rosemary and lavender plants today, do they grow roughly the same height? Is lavender a real bee attractor? I also have some dahlia and gerbera seedlings coming up and would like to plant them at home rather then up the allotment. Not sure how or if I should cram it all in. We would like the beds to be symetrical, so each bed the same.

Any thoughts apprecieated.

Hi Wizer

The Lavendar and Rosemary I think grow to the same height, but you can keep them pruned to the same height anyway... and you can make use of the prunings from both too.

I find my Lavendar is a good 'real' bee attractor (as opposed to 'fake' bee attractor )

I like the idea of lights through the grasses. especially on a summer's evening when there's a light breeze!
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Thanks shortie. I think the grasses idea may win.

The beds were actually going to be paved and planter put on top until I saw the structure and decided they would make good beds as is. Before I decided on having them as beds I was filling them with over turned clods of grass. They are currently half filled leaving about 4inches to be filled with multi purpose compost. Are the clods going to cause problems? Should I dig them back out?

Comment

Censorship ?

WiZeR
        Were you having a laugh when you "edited out" the "k" and the "g" from the word "bac**round" in your opening post for this thread - or are the sinister forces of Big Brother at work
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

check in general chat mate

Comment

Hi WiZeR, I'd maybe take a couple of inches of the turf clods out as the plants you are going to put in might have trouble establishing their roots in just 4ins of compost.You could store the turf in a corner somewhere & it will eventually break down into nice loam, I stored mine 'grass to grass' in layers & after about a year it was fine.Lavender is great for attracting bees & I've had some interesting butterflies & a hummingbird hawkmoth on mine in the past.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X