Primula denticula

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primula denticula

Last autumn I bought several primula denticula plugs - SMALL BUT HEALTHY LOOKING.
    now Spring has arrived the plugs are larger and healthy looking but only about half the size of saucers. I expect they will continue to grow but I am concerned several of them are flowering but these flowers are extremely small only two or three little flowers together, -not a cluster or ball as it should be. Clearly the rosettes of leaves are not mature or big enough to flower. Should I cut off any little flowers till next year when the plants are much bigger. Or will they mature and grow despite these little flowers. Any advice much appreciated.
    Attached Files

You could snip the flowers off to encourage the plant to bulk up. It's the seed production that slows down the process.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Merci Roitelet, I shall end the little flowers' days pretty as they are.

Comment

An article from the Telegraph suggests the buds appear and then the stem grows:

"The plant over-winters as a visible resting bud and then, in March, the flower buds start to show in the centre of the expanding new leaves. These buds open before the flower stems begin to elongate. The stems lengthen over several weeks, carrying the flower clusters aloft."

So perhaps all is not lost?

Comment

Thanks Wendy but the rosette or bunch of leaves look just too small to be flowering. About the size of half a fist.

Comment

Let them flower as they are and remove any seed heads when they are formed, they will bulk up over the year
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X